Get Children Detecting Appeal

Aug 15, 2012
Im trying to get kids off computers and out detecting so am starting competitions on my videos so please tell your kids to watch starting next week. 2 prizes are a Garrett Pro Pointer and a years subscription*to American Diggers Magazine with many more to follow. If you have ideas of what any of the competitions could be please message me. Thanks. Deep Digger Dan is my YouTube account name by the way.

http://youtube.com/user/DeepDiggerDan

Upvote 0

Sandscoopdan

May 19, 2012
Cypress,Tx
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Equinox 800
Extreme scoop
Boat: 20ft Four Winns w/92 V8 5.0L Cobra Mustang engine
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Deep Digger Dan said:
Im trying to get kids off computers and out detecting so am starting competitions on my videos so please tell your kids to watch starting next week. 2 prizes are a Garrett Pro Pointer and a years subscription*to American Diggers Magazine with many more to follow. If you have ideas of what any of the competitions could be please message me. Thanks. Deep Digger Dan is my YouTube account name by the way.

http://youtube.com/user/DeepDiggerDan

This is a great idea. My daughter is really getting into metal detecting. After some practice with the ace 150, she has been doing some research and wants to upgrade to the Garrett AT Pro. She really wants a pro pointer. I have another idea for ya. How about giving your kids a membership to local md club or doing a planned hunt where you hide some old coins. Kids love that kind of stuff. Once my kid realized md'ing is like Christmas. Every time you dig. U never know what ur going to dig up. They start to understand that how many trash targets to good targets and learn responses to minimize trash targets. Also that what seem like trash is building a story about about the history of the surroundings that they r digging in

LuckyThirteen08

Sep 17, 2012
Grundy VA
Detector(s) used
Fisher F4, Teknetics Delta 4000,Teknetics Omega 8000,Teknetics Gamma 6000,Minelab Pro-Find 25 Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome Idea,Anyway we i can help you support or promote this,Please let me know,I`ll give you a share on Facebook,Try and help get others involved,Its a wonderful idea and i wish you the best of luck with this!

HH,John

urbanminer

May 21, 2007
Heart of Texas
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Compadre,Cutlass, Vaquero
Whites and B Hunter LandStar
I love this idea! For years I have been buying odd pouches of jewelry and foreign coins to toss out in the back yard for the nieces and nephews to find and dig. They love to come and treasure hunt at our house. Maybe I should have made the dig a reward for some task....the house could be cleaner, the car might be washed I will have to give it a try. BTW I'm crazy about your videos. I just found the first one and you can count me as hooked. It may take a few days to see them all but I will. Keep up the good work and Happy Hunting!

olfacere

Feb 22, 2013
Georgia, US
Detector(s) used
Tesoro MicroMax Silver
Garrett Pro Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Putting together a kid's competition hunt should be pretty easy, as long as you think ahead about what not to do. I read a story (may have been here on Tnet) about someone putting together a competition hunt and making it a real challenge. A guy seeded a park with about 90 nickels. We know, of course, that nickels are the coins most difficult to differentiate from trash. That would have been a bit of a challenge. What he did, though, was bury all of the target coins standing on edge. By the end of the hunt, a bunch of nickels had been found, but (if I recall correctly) only three of the nickels that were planted. He simply made the hunt too hard! How would you find those nickels? You'd have to strip the park of most of its trash (devastating the ground in the process) to get them.

So, I would recommend using dimes. It's a good idea to use some type of standard target and coins are wonderfully uniform. It's also good that most detector manufacturers would have likely tested their units against dimes at some point. So, everyone should be able to hit on them, they are quite conductive (separable from trash), and there are relatively fewer of them. Pennies are everywhere (people often just don't bother picking them up). Dimes are less common. If you seeded a park with 100 pennies, there may be 1,000 pennies to find. If you seeded a park with 100 dimes, there may only be 200 dimes to find. If they're all buried flat, it should make for an easy, all-about-the-fundamentals kind of hunt.

If anyone can help you fund it, then you could do the coin thing and also bury some special prizes a few days ahead of time (taking careful note of where you buried them, of course, in case they are not found). You could bury a small silver band (ring), a small gold band, and a larger gold band. If you find enough stuff yourself, you wouldn't even have to buy the prizes. It's a lot cheaper to find them than to buy them, and they feel a lot more "authentic." The kids that find the gold and silver won't soon forget it!

VWandSTUDEBAKER

Jul 11, 2010
Gainesville FLorida
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i, Whites BHID, Whites SurfPlus,Whites 5900 Pro Sl, various other detectors, TRX pin pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good going, Dan. I have watched all 110 (at this point in time). Its a wonderful thing you are trying to do for the kids. Now if you could just get some of those parents off of their butts ! Or just open up their wallet and help you a little.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions