Getting permission????

S

shamhawks

New to site. Use to MD years back and had great fun and lots of good finds but sold both my detectors to move out of state. I just bought another one that I should get in a few days (White's QXT)
I just moved to a small Washington town that has good history and wanted to start searching some old home properties. The range of homes in downtown is from 1880-1910..Washington doesn't go too far back :'( but can still get some good stuff in a hundred years or so...lol

My question is what works best for getting permission as I never have tried this sort of hunting. I drove around today and found a few homes that are currently vacant but on the market. how do you get the owners phone and what do you guys usually say...do most people let you or do they get upset??

Any advice from people that do these type searches would be great.

Upvote 0

Chester Copper Pot

Apr 16, 2005
WI
Detector(s) used
Whites Idx Pro
If you can find one person on the block in any of the numerous people searches on the internet; you can then use the "find neighbors" option. Also try a reverse phone search. This way you can put together a name,address,and phone number. If you want to go right to the updated source of real estate try the county treasurer or city treasurer/clerk.They can give you the name and address of the owner who pays the taxes. As for as a polite request goes.....pick 5 hot spots and hope for one permission granted and not on your timetable. I have had requests sit unanswered for 3 weeks then boom, dig in. Good luck.

catlord17

May 13, 2006
I'd send them a letter explaining your situation, hobby and interest, and then if you don't hear anything after a few weeks, perhaps try to make phone contact.

RON (PA)

Silver Member
Sep 9, 2004
Pittsburgh, Pa
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Compadre & Tiger Shark
If at all possible, I have always tried the face to face approach. Explain the reason, how deep you usually dig, pick up trash that you find, and leave the ground untouched. I have had great luck with this. Hope it helps.

Some will tell you No, but that is the worst that can happen.

Hope it helps.
Ron.

ringding

May 5, 2006
Detector(s) used
Pioneer 505
I called another church monday cause its old and they are currently doing a bunch of renovations to the grounds. They turned me down and said its cause they were concerned about liability during the construction. Evidently they didn't know that I am protected by God. So you win some and you lose some. Just keep asking people and don't get too bummed if some say no.

slow sweeper

Jan 7, 2005
Oregon
I think face to face is best when possible. Be able to retrieve a target without leaving a mark. Be willing to share the finds. Thank them for their time regardless of the answer.

Jason in TN

Bronze Member
Oct 29, 2004
East Tennessee
Face to face is the only way explain your hobby and that you do it for fun and how much you injoy it. B willing to share your finds. dont leave a trace that you have been there and you will be OK. Ask Ask and Ask again I had a civil war site I wanted to surch got a no and checked again about a year later and got the OK from the new owner. It was a great site and well worth the effort. Another thing if you ask enough people some one will say yes. If you do not ask you will never get to surch the area you have in mind.

Getty

Bronze Member
May 1, 2005
Maryland
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
try to do a "real property" search in your state.Here in Maryland, I can type in the street name and# and it will tell me who paid the taxes on the place.Then check the phone listings and call.This method works.The last place I did this with got me permission to hunt a house built in 1805.

OP
OP
S

shamhawks

Thanks for the tips. Guess I just have to get out there and do it. Wish I thought about doing this a few years ago when i was in real estate, as I had all this information at my disposal. Just will take a little extra digging to get the Info.

I did another drive though the town again today and counted no less than 10 pre 1900 homes that are vacant and up for sale. there is this one home that is just a few places from where I live that I just get a feeling for. A 1897 big corner lot home with huge trees. I just get visions of some nice things :) I will tell you what though...The market sure is crazy here. The home is on the market for $595k

I have lived in this small border town since December and have yet to see 1 person with a metal detector. Hope that is a good sign. I should get my Detector by Tuesday and will hopefully post some pictures on my first day hunting in the town. Think I will just try the local school on the first day as that should give me a pretty good idea on how much this town has been hunted :o

OP
OP
S

shamhawks

jasonbo said:
go at night with a glowstickan keep saying out loud where are those keys

Wouldn't expect anything less from a FCP member ;D

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread