getting started

Hoser John

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Redding,Calif.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
To even be considered you gotta get some college level geology under your belt.Then you have to move to nevada and work in the middle a nowhere in a huge ol'pit. There are so few old style hole in the ground hardrock mines around they're countable on a hand in most states.Tons a au 2 u 2-John

Staroleum

Greenie
Nov 11, 2005
Portland, OR
Hey there LoDukeBear,
Some ideas off the top of my head are; check out local prospecting groups or rockhounding clubs.
If you find a prospecting club, you can ask about it from people who have been there.
Another idea is to check out libraries: ask the librarian for histories of mining in your area.
Check out books on the local geology and try to learn what kinds of geology are associated with mineral finds.
If you are in a big city, check to see if there is a state mining office, or a state geological office near you.
They usually have libraries, though not always a "browsing" library - you might have to call ahead and make an appointment to visit.
You can also ask a state geologist if it's possible for you to bring in rocks to be identified.
Geology classes are about $240 bucks a pop in my area - not *too* bad, but I've had so many other bills pouring in lately, that I'm going to have to "home school" myself for a while.
I'm starting by trying to collect and identify common local rocks, so that I can get a feel for what they are talking about when I read geology or prospecting books and they are referring to various kinds of granites, etc.
Good Luck!
S.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions