What's new

Ghost Town Finds From Yesterday

oldmxrat

Gold Member
🥇 Charter Member
Joined
Oct 25, 2020
Messages
10,910
Reaction score
47,586
Golden Thread
1
Location
Reno Nevada summers, Las Vegas winters
🥇 Banner finds
2
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My friend and I detected a rather large ghost town a few hours away. It gets detected regularly by lots of people, but it's pretty big and also covered with sagebrush making it difficult to swing. It's also completely covered with old, rusty cans making it beyond difficult to detect. The Deus2 had its job cut out for it and performed admirably for the conditions.
While I didn't get any coins, my friend popped an 1858-s dime and a 1911 wheat.
I did find some interesting items however.
The toy clay pipe is something I've never heard of, pretty cute!
The square sash buckle was a welcome find in such good condition. The heel traction cleat is one I haven't seen before either.
An unfired .44 Russian round is a first for me. The .45 cal shell I haven't identified yet.
I checked carefully around where the coin purse was found, but no coins.

IMG_0232.webp

The rectangular piece at the bottom of the pic is a letter "N" printing press type.
IMG_0233.webp

IMG_0235.webp


A piece of something silver plated from Stuttgart 1881
IMG_0236.webp


That is one tiny little pipe!
IMG_0234.webp
 
Upvote 23
The .44 Russian was a modification of the S&W Model 3 for the European market. It would be interesting to know how it ended up there. Nice bunch of relics!
Thanks, I have a couple of Belgian made top-break revolvers in .44 Russian from that era. They were pretty popular in the mining districts because of their affordability.
(I also have a model 3 and a US Calvary Schofield)
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom