Gifs, Pics, and More

Teye is a common name in Senegal, but the term "teye ba" occurs twice in the ... the Holy Bible and in both cases the Apostle Paul is saying "I am coming to you".
=========
Just for the sake of discussion, let's say if that is the case, why would this be silly ?
If it belonged to a pirate or slave, it is not far fetched they inscribed the ring knowing full well their life at sea was perilous and this was a tribute ? Who knows ? Almost all the "theories" seem as credible as the next.

Teye is a common name in Senegal, but the term "teye ba" occurs twice in the ... the Holy Bible and in both cases the Apostle Paul is saying "I am coming to you".
=========
Just for the sake of discussion, let's say if that is the case, why would this be silly ?
If it belonged to a pirate or slave, it is not far fetched they inscribed the ring knowing full well their life at sea was perilous and this was a tribute ? Who knows ? Almost all the "theories" seem as credible as the next.

Errr Simon ?

Silly was you NOT the saying ... :P

Are you feeling alright ? lol

Um...

Last edited:
Teye ba actually is misquoted in these peoples things as well..

It actually is... well I would have to look into it... but something on the lines of... "Three times I commeth for you".... that was if my memory serves me ....

Again I would have to look into it.

Bah I cannot find it after a few quick searches...

I read this before somewhere.

Morning Gifs and much more.

Good morning Rook
Is your girl making progress ?

Last edited:
Time to call it a night.
See all my friends later today :hello:

See ya bud. Have a good nap.

She's getting a lot better at night.

Wellll yes and no... is saw that post... they sorta did not get the facts all straight...

Like... the bible part...

Also...

Roman letters TEYE BA means 'you were low too' in Haitian Creole.

Well I know nothing about it and grabbed the first information that sounded good. I was hoping to get more information on what you knew. And then seeing that Simon found more information is kind of interesting. Leads me to think that volumes may be out there and one would have to draw their own conclusions? IDK. Still, one little ring has some unanswered questions? I will probably wait until I get to the other side when all things will be revealed. Thanks for sharing the pics ARC.

Well, the translation is open to interpretation as there are a few floating around there.

This is an account from Barry Clifford, page 97 of his book:
Real Pirates: The Untold Story of the Whydah from Slave Ship to Pirate ShipBy Barry Clifford, Kenneth J. Kinkor, Sharon Simpson

Real Pirates: The Untold Story of the Whydah from Slave Ship to Pirate Ship
By Barry Clifford, Kenneth J. Kinkor, Sharon Simpson

View attachment 1791698

View attachment 1791697
Barry Clifford also offered this possible explanation:
It turns out that “Teye” and “Ba” were common Senegalese names during the 18th century when the Whydah was a slave ship. Clifford and his team believe the ring belonged to either an African slave trader or a slave who became a pirate.

Then there is this version which also contained the version ARC quoted.
I did not include that as ARC already posted, but it is available to view on:

https://www.pinterest.com/pin/438186238720550268/

The Teye ring. This gold ring reveals much, yet keeps many secrets. The last name Teye seems to hail from the north of England, and other inscribed letters show it once belonged to a ranking British seaman connected with a Royal Navy base. How it got aboard the Whydah is unclear, but know this, hearties: No officer in the King's Navy would have handed it over except at the point of a saber. Unless, of course, he turned pirate himself.

I also saw the version Sis posted as well.

According to a Haitian Creole translatorTeye Ba is: thou wast also give
"Almost" has a religious connotation sound to it ?
Not sure what "Wast" translates to, but this is yet another interpretation.

So what are the facts ?

See above reply to arc. I’m using the app and have no idea how to quote multiple people. Thanks for adding more information.

Found this information:
Bellamycay 8y
It's pronounced TAY BAH and it is of the Wolof dialect of Africa.
The exact meaning is unknown, though there are a few possibilities.
Teye is a common name in Senegal, but the term "teye ba" occurs twice in the Wolof translation of the Holy Bible and in both cases the Apostle Paul is saying "I am coming to you".
The original ring, which was found among the treasures of the Whydah Galley (the only authenticated pirate shipwreck in the world), is clearly of European origin, and it is apparent that whatever original ensign or image was on the ring had been rubbed off and the words TEYE BA etched in its place. Approximately 1/3 of the pirate crew was of African origin, and therefore this may have been a ring worn by an Africa pirate. If TEYE BA means the same as that found in the Wolof Bible, it could be a sentimental promise that the pirate would return to his homeland or family; but it could also be a threat to his enemies, as in "I'm coming to get you/get revenge!" Then again, Teye is also the name of an early Afro-Egyptian queen who was deified as a goddess, and many later queens took the name. The worship of this goddess is still known to flourish in parts of Africa, and this inscription may be a reference of devotion to her.

I knew this user name looked familiar!

Hi Pirate Diver, I'm the Whydah Pirate Museum Docent, manager and historian, and I work on a number of projects for Barry. 2015 is my 7th year. Sadly, our Project Historian Ken Kinkor passed away.

http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/shipwrecks/208751-wydah-wreck-2.html

I found one that our movie star/ treasure hunter Bart Reynolds sang :headbang:
We all know Bart is NOT cheap, but this was recorded around 1980 and he was saving to invest in his future :icon_thumleft:

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back