Gilberts Reefer Madness

Jolly Mon

Sep 3, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Gilbert's Reefer Madness

If there is any truth to this story the wreck is probably in a lease area. The description of the supposedly recovered coins is interesting.

shipwreck, st. lucie inlet.png Springfield Republican, 5-29-1894

Gilbert's shoal 1887.png Gilbert's Shoal 1887 gilbert shoal current paint.png Recent

Last edited:

Southern_Digger

May 21, 2012
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer and Excalibur; Tesoro Tejon; Fisher 1265-X; Garrett Master Hunter; White's Coinmaster; In closet: Bounty Hunter and Relco
Primary Interest:
Other
Thank You for posting this... brings back good memories. There was a similar old lead on this wreck beach published in a 1960's book on Fla. Treasure Hunting. When I turned 18, and I could not make the lengthly trip to search at Sebastian (1971), my second choice was to drive the old Ford Falcon from Davie to Gilbert's Bar, park at or near the museum, and search the beaches to the north with my old BFO Bounty Hunter. Made several trips yet, never found any evidence of the wreck. Still, these trips were the adventure as there was no I-95 back then. I used to take US 1 all the way; or, when I had the few extra bucks, would take the turnpike on occasion.

OP
OP
J

Jolly Mon

Sep 3, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank You for posting this... brings back good memories. There was a similar old lead on this wreck beach published in a 1960's book on Fla. Treasure Hunting. When I turned 18, and I could not make the lengthly trip to search at Sebastian (1971), my second choice was to drive the old Ford Falcon from Davie to Gilbert's Bar, park at or near the museum, and search the beaches to the north with my old BFO Bounty Hunter. Made several trips yet, never found any evidence of the wreck. Still, these trips were the adventure as there was no I-95 back then. I used to take US 1 all the way; or, when I had the few extra bucks, would take the turnpike on occasion.

Sounds like good, old times, Digger.
The description of the coins makes me believe there is some truth to the story. So does this:

Lt. Ripley, 1894 paint.png Report of the Superintendent showing the progress of the report..., 1895

I am not sure why a Navy Lieutenant would concoct a story like this...especially since he would have known his time at Gilbert's Bar would be very limited. It's not like he was going to hang around and bilk investors.

The wreck might lay too far offshore for heavier items to make it into the surf zone. Heavier items might also be unable to make it to the surf zone because of the presence of the reef itself...there is an extremely shoal area to the south of the inlet nearly two miles long and about 6 tenths of a mile out that might hold some clues...

sphillips

Bronze Member
Jan 4, 2008
Western NC
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

ropesfish

Bronze Member
Jun 3, 2007
Sebastian, Florida
Detector(s) used
A sharp eye, an AquaPulse and a finely tuned shrimp fork.
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Depth soundings in those old charts are almost always in fathoms.
In that particular chart it appears that the soundings seaward of the beach are in fathoms, inshore soundings seem to be in feet.
1 fathom = 6 linear feet.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread