Giving away my PPS to the community

relichunters

Bronze Member
May 4, 2008
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Tesoro
Last year I went before the State of Virginia Natural Resources with this powerpoint presentation. It was to allow metal detecting in the state, or to aid in the search and recovery of Archaeologists.

While I was told that it was a great presentation, and that Archaeologists need metal detecting quite often, they decided to turn down the idea and say no.

I worked hard on it, so I'd like to give it to the community to alter and use for your own state and areas. Perhaps your state would adapt it.

Good luck.

www.americanmadesigns.com/vasr/vasr.ppt
www.americanmadesigns.com/vasr/vasr.pps

ouachitacaveman

Mar 12, 2011
Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Fisher F-4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
.. Are you not allowed to MD in your state, or are
you seeking the opportunity to help Archeologists with
your detecting ? In Archeological research, I would think
that simply joining a local or state Archeological Society
( if you have one in your state ) would be the first step
to achieve your desired effort in preserving historic finds.
I like the ideas you presented, and I think they should
have been accepted. Good luck with your endeavors.

:headbang:

OP
OP
relichunters

relichunters

Bronze Member
May 4, 2008
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Tesoro
Pretty much just change the laws and allow a special permit for metal detecting on restricted sites. You'd get a VASR reflective vest, id badge etc and when someone comes up to you and says get out, you can show them you are certified to be there.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
relic-hunters, I too had the same question that ouachitacaveman had when I read your post: "what? are you NOT allowed to metal detect in the state or something?" But then in your next post, you clarify that this is for "restricted areas".

And ouachitacaveman is right: You can help archaeologists whenever you/they want. You don't need some sort of special sanctions or laws or whatever. If you buddy up with them by joining museum's volunteer staffs (docents, etc...), and historical societies, and archaeological societies, you can meet the people, and often get to contribute. I have helped archaeologists by this method. No need to get some sort of legislation, etc...

But to let you know, to get to metal detect at "restricted areas", by the means of "helping archaeologists" on their digs, is not what you're thinking it is. It is VERY boring, and not at all what us md'rs associated with normal metal detecting. Because you don't actually dig any targets. You just flag the beep signal, and they come back later with tweezers, brushes, and such, and dig it out later.

For example: one time I got to help an archie doing a dig at a Chinese fishing village site. The site had also been the location of some more recent activity (industrial/commercial boat-works site). So as I started to flag each signal, I would tell the archie "this is most likely going to be a zinc penny right under the grass blades", or "this is probably just going to be a pulltab", and so forth. After flagging about 10 targets (there were thousands of signals), he stopped me and said that this # of flags would keep him busy for the entire next day! Because each signal must be GPS'd, and have paragraphs written about each thing, blah blah blah.

So if you thought this would just give license to go metal detect historically themed state owned preserved sites in your state, ........ it certainly isn't going to be the way us hobbyists approach things (hear a beep, dig it up, and look at the danged item).

This isn't to say you can't already help them on their meticulous 8 x 8 pits (that they take weeks to do a single pit!). As I say, simply befriend them, and after getting to be in their inner-circle, presto, offer the aid of the tool of the detector. Colleges in your area may offer classes on archaeology, for instance. Enroll in the classes, and field exercises are usually par for the course. And with the exposure, you'll get to learn who the practicing (ie.: career for park's dept's purposes) archies are, since they often use student labor help.

Your idea is noble, but you have to remember: Most all of the time, the goals and methods of archaeologists are NOT what our goals and methods are. There is a very real disconnect between the two camps. And that is an animosity that I don't think you are going to get legislated away. As much as I wish archie's would love us, and bless us, it simply is not going to happen, the moment they hear that you go out and help yourself on other locations (locations which are not currently under their say-so). Because the intrinsic nature of our hobby, is diametrically opposed to their goals.

So if you really want to close that divide, simply become "one of them", by getting into their inner circles, with the actual memberships and such. Be prepared to not mention metal detecting initially, and to simply contribute by attending meetings, docenting tours at museums, archiving help in back rooms, go to student-help digs, etc... The later, once you know an archie or two on a first-name basis, your actions/suggestions might not run afoul of the opposed goals of our hobby, verses theirs.

ouachitacaveman

Mar 12, 2011
Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Fisher F-4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
........ to clarify ......
I might add, that as a member of an Archeological Society, your
efforts are to help preserve any historic artifacts and info. you may find.
You will learn about documentation of artifacts and the site they came from and
provenience of said findings. Not provenance as referred to on articles shown on the Antiques Roadshow, but provenience, relative to info. on artifacts.
You DO NOT keep what you find in these " sites ". The findings are
for preservation and education for others.
Any "restricted" site will offer you nothing to keep other than learning, with discovered items to be
donated to the society for historic preservation, learning or teaching , or museums.
Though you may receive no personal gain in wealth, your efforts in preservation will benefit others seeking to learn about culture and history.

:headbang:

Dig It Man

Jan 31, 2012
Alabama
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think a lot of these so-called arkie's have metal detectors in the trunks of their cars, and are trying to locate lost treasures they can cash in on themselves. They are not going to stop me from detecting, and digging up treasures, because where I will be doing it, I doubt I will be seeing anybody it's so remote, and should they try and arrest me, I have a guard dog that will keep them in place until I am long gone, and my dog hears my whisle for him to join me. These thugs are in violation of the constitution anyway, and should be fought in the courts all the way to the US Supreme court. They have no more rights than anybody to dig, other than their un-constitutional laws they get passed.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread