Silver Member
Oct 29, 2010
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Glad I didn't find anything good...

It was so nice this afternoon that I decided to give the bathroom remodeling a break and hit the yard across the street from the house. Hadn't got switched on good before my 78 year-old neighbor headed my way. He's as good a neighbor anybody could ask for, a lonely widower, so it's cool. Besides, he got me permission from the adjoining church that owns the lot. Anyway, he hangs in there with me talking and talking. I was getting great signals, but finding your usual trash. 1/4" brass plug, brass latch of some kind, big puddle of melted aluminum, weird, crude solid lead cone, etc. Then I found a dime, a Rosie, didn't look silver but even with my glasses, I couldn't make out the date. Didn't think much about it, handing it to him to take a look. Well, he pulls out his pocketknife and commences to scraping my dime to get a better look. I'm thinking, oh well, it's just a dime. When I got home, I got a better look and it's only a 2008, but what a valuable lesson I learned.

Upvote 5

collector01

Bronze Member
Mar 7, 2008
snow hill, MD
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F70
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Lol my grandfather did the same thing once to a coin I found in his yard. It wasn't anything good either. You got to watch them old guys lol.

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Great story, thank you for sharing!

deershed

Silver Member
Apr 25, 2013
Maryland
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, Whites Coin Master Pro, Bounty Hunter Lonestar, Minelab CTX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If your a smoker next time put your silver coins in the plastic wrap of your cigarette pack. Keeps curious home owners or whom ever from trying to clean them up for closer look.

flatbutton

Bronze Member
Aug 21, 2013
Eastern N.C.
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE, Tesoro Sand Shark,Nautilus DMC 1, Garrett Grand Master Hunter,Garrett Master Hunter 5 , Whites Coinmaster 5000/D
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If your a smoker next time put your silver coins in the plastic wrap of your cigarette pack. Keeps curious home owners or whom ever from trying to clean them up for closer look.
I used to do that until the first and only shield nickel I ever found slid out somewhere in the field I was hunting. Didn't realize it until I went to show my buddy! Retraced where I had been, but couldn't find it. Found and lost again in the same day! Must have slid out when I bent over to dig a target :BangHead:

OP
OP
sandchip

sandchip

Silver Member
Oct 29, 2010
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've heard of folks losing bird points that way. One guy that I know I had two really nice arrowheads in his pack of smokes in his truck. Paid his young'uns to clean his ride and in the trash they went. By the time he noticed, they had been hauled to the dump. Talk about sick...

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread