Bronze Member
Mar 23, 2005
Northern Virginia
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT Classic
Teknetics Delta 4000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ok.... I posted this one a while back but did not have a clear photo. I found this on a site that has a long long history of prehistoric and historic Indian activity, Revolutionary War and Civil War activity. No matter what angle I look at this from, I see a large mouth bass. It was found next to a large, bass filled creek that was used by both Indians and Soldiers from both wars. I think that someone heated glass from a bottle and fashioned a fish as a toy or piece of jewellery. Thoughts?

Attachments

• fish1.jpg
    fish1.jpg
    49.2 KB · Views: 929
  • fish2.jpg
    fish2.jpg
    97.6 KB · Views: 929
  • fish3.jpg
    fish3.jpg
    61.3 KB · Views: 930
  • fish4.jpg
    fish4.jpg
    84.4 KB · Views: 922
  • fish5.jpg
    fish5.jpg
    91.6 KB · Views: 914
  • fish6.jpg
    fish6.jpg
    78.9 KB · Views: 916
  • fish7.jpg
    fish7.jpg
    46.8 KB · Views: 924
  • fish8.jpg
    fish8.jpg
    52.3 KB · Views: 906
Upvote 0

ohio

Bronze Member
May 28, 2007
Airborne, while i can see the fish sorta.... what ya have is as piece of melted glass and nothing more. Often times folks would set fire to their solid waste dumps to reduce volume and stench etc. It likely washed out from someplace like that.

So how have ya been? Any new finds on your new place?

Take it easy.

Chuck

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
cool item -- that said --the human mind by its nature always trys to find "patterns" in stuff it sees --its how we humans recognize things as being certain things we have seen before -- once we see something and learn its a "whatever" -- when our mind "sees" similar looking or shaped items it goes -- oh looks like a "whatever"-- its why folks "see" clouds shaped like various things --its just the human mind at work. --you say theres bass in the creek -- so your mind was geared up for "seeing" bass , you expected to see bass -- and the glass shard fits the "profile" of a bass generally speaking -- you saw a bass.---althought i must admit it looks good as a bass sorta item.

OP
OP
Airborne80

Airborne80

Bronze Member
Mar 23, 2005
Northern Virginia
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT Classic
Teknetics Delta 4000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ohio said:
Airborne, while i can see the fish sorta.... what ya have is as piece of melted glass and nothing more. Often times folks would set fire to their solid waste dumps to reduce volume and stench etc. It likely washed out from someplace like that.

So how have ya been? Any new finds on your new place?

Take it easy.

Chuck

hey Chuck. yes..... i have a box full of brokes and more than a few niceones that I will be posting soon. A couple are already up in the White Quartz post that I put up today :) how are things your way? I hope that you are doing well and good As always...... stay safe.

OP
OP
Airborne80

Airborne80

Bronze Member
Mar 23, 2005
Northern Virginia
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT Classic
Teknetics Delta 4000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ivan salis said:
cool item -- that said --the human mind by its nature always trys to find "patterns" in stuffit sees --its how we humans recognize things as being certain things we have seen before -- once we see something and learn its a "whatever" -- when our mind "sees" similar looking or shaped items it goes -- oh looks like a "whatever"-- its why folks "see" clouds shaped like various things --its just the human mind at work. --you say theres bass in the creek -- so your mind was geared up for "seeing" bass , you expected to see bass -- and the glass shard fits the "profile" of a bass generally speaking -- you saw a bass.---althought i must admit it looks good as a bass sorta item.

Thank you for the great response and sensible words. Stay safe :icon_thumleft:

tmodel

Feb 5, 2011
mid tn.
Airborne80..... strange that your glass bass seems to have been heated only at the mouth and tail.. i have a horse head that nobody thanks is man made , but i will not part with it as i would not if i had found the bass..missed you when you left althow i was not posting at time... T

OP
OP
Airborne80

Airborne80

Bronze Member
Mar 23, 2005
Northern Virginia
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT Classic
Teknetics Delta 4000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
tmodel said:
Airborne80..... strange that your glass bass seems to have been heated only at the mouth and tail.. i have a horse head that nobody thanks is man made , but i will not part with it as i would not if i had found the bass..missed you when you left althow i was not posting at time... T

Thank you for your post and here is a secret that I will share. Just between you and I..... i have absolutely no doubt whatsoever that this is a glass fish, made by a creative and bored Confederate Civil war soldier who was stationed at the (well documented) artillery site..... where this was recovered. I mean............. I learned long ago not to get to flustered over peoples inability to put all of the facts together in order to arrive at a logical conclusion hahah. I mean...... the odds of a piece of glass being mealted into the shape of a fish, at the site of a riverside Civil war site..... being just a simple piece of trash? The odds are off the charts... in my most humble of opinions hahaha. Glad to hear that I am not the only soul on earth who feels this way. Thanks :) And.... please..... if you do not want to share your horse head on the site.... please email a photo of it to me. I would love to see it.

tmodel

Feb 5, 2011
mid tn.
i will post photo of horse head as soon as i learn to take good photos and learn to post them. yes i think some body made the bass, found a piece of broken glass that looked a little like a fish, then by hearing parts of it and shaping it, they made it look more like a bass... love it... T.

OP
OP
Airborne80

Airborne80

Bronze Member
Mar 23, 2005
Northern Virginia
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT Classic
Teknetics Delta 4000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
tmodel said:
i will post photo of horse head as soon as i learn to take good photos and learn to post them. yes i think some body made the bass, found a piece of broken glass that looked a little like a fish, then by hearing parts of it and shaping it, they made it look more like a bass... love it... T.

yea... I find tons of very old blue, green, yellow and clear glass at the site. I agree..... a broken bottle and a creative mind... with a hot poker haha. I look forward to seeing that horse. Thanks again.

tmodel

Feb 5, 2011
mid tn.
hay Air!! came back to viset little miss bass, and decided to take her back with me. she has a right to be looked at twice! Terry

Hmmm?

Oct 5, 2010
Southern, NJ
"Thank you for your post and here is a secret that I will share. Just between you and I..... i have absolutely no doubt whatsoever that this is a glass fish, made by a creative and bored Confederate Civil war soldier who was stationed at the (well documented) artillery site..... where this was recovered. I mean............. I learned long ago not to get to flustered over peoples inability to put all of the facts together in order to arrive at a logical conclusion hahah. I mean...... the odds of a piece of glass being mealted into the shape of a fish, at the site of a riverside Civil war site..... being just a simple piece of trash? The odds are off the charts... in my most humble of opinions hahaha. Glad to hear that I am not the only soul on earth who feels this way. Thanks And.... please..... if you do not want to share your horse head on the site.... please email a photo of it to me. I would love to see it."

:icon_thumleft:

IndianWarsHunter

Jul 29, 2009
Airborne80 said:
It was found next to a large, bass filled creek that was used by both Indians and Soldiers from both wars. I think that someone heated glass from a bottle and fashioned a fish as a toy or piece of jewellery. Thoughts?

Clear glass = modern

Glass bottles from that time period were mostly colored, different shades of amber, greens, blues, aquas and if near anywhere near clear would have turned to a light purple color by now.

Indian Wars
Hunter

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread