Gold Member
Nov 8, 2012
Nashville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab x-Terra 505
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Detecting in cementaries is usually a no-no by the majority of TN'ers...

This property runs alongside a cemetery and the area we were in wasn't anywhere near the perimeter even(its a pretty big piece of land )I would never detect on cemetery property,very disrespectful to the dead.

surf

Silver Member
Jan 10, 2013
Detector(s) used
seeing eye shovel
Primary Interest:
Other
...There is broken glass and pieces and shards of pottery everywhere.I'm thinking there must be some whole bottles buried in those mounds where the backhoes have dug .Yes,the area is under construction. Why would there be an oyster shell in Nashville? That one had me scratching my head AND wanting a dozen or so and a couple of brews.

Hey Coily,

I love construction sites. It sounds like one of the excavators has bisected a privy or an ash pit that contained some goodies. I'd be walking that site in a grid, communing carefully with the dirt.

Look for ashy deposits of darker soil. Scraped squares, circles, or ovals with darker ashy center areas would get a test hole from me. How much of the soil has been excavated? Look for brick or stone vault like constructions. If you have a real long screwdriver, that might serve as a probe in a pinch.

I've found some great stuff littering those dirt piles that look real shardy. Do a close inspection walk around them. Scope the bottoms of the piles for intact bottles, and assorted goodies.

People have always loved shellfish. I always like to see oyster shell, clam shell and other shells, because they are frequent denizens of the deep.

DSCN1329-1.jpg

I found this stark white bitters as you see it. It was pointing me to a dump that I dug for better than 2 seasons.

DSC00631.jpg

The next pile over featured this thistle pipe.

DSC00643.jpg

Go forth and find some glassy goodness. Here's wishing you some Eugene Ottenvilles...

B8C2255C976F410EA9474DE04055DFC3.jpg

VERDE

Bronze Member
Jun 6, 2013
Louisiana
Detector(s) used
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
CONGRATS CoilyGirl!! Pretty Dang Nice!! Looks like the bottom of a SKY Vodka Bottle!! You would have enjoyed it BETTER!! He He!! VERDE!!

OP
OP
CoilyGirl

CoilyGirl

Gold Member
Nov 8, 2012
Nashville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab x-Terra 505
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Surf I am going to show the mister your post to whet his appetite,your expert advice on what to look for in the dirt has been most helpful. I would say there are multiple piles of dirt randomly scattered,some as high as about 15 feet or so and paths at grade where all the construction trucks are entering and exciting the site.I'm afraid to wait too long.

Bass

Silver Member
Jan 20, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If they are removing dirt, you can always ask them where they a taking the loads. I have even followed trucks before to find where they a dumping the loads. Scored nicely with my metal detector hunting coins

Sent from my iPhone using TreasureNet

OP
OP
CoilyGirl

CoilyGirl

Gold Member
Nov 8, 2012
Nashville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab x-Terra 505
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
If they are removing dirt, you can always ask them where they a taking the loads. I have even followed trucks before to find where they a dumping the loads. Scored nicely with my metal detector hunting coins

Sent from my iPhone using TreasureNet
I think the area where they are dumping may have a no trespassing sign.Probably others have had the same idea.Does anyone know what this rainbow affect means on a old bottle? This is the side of my broken bottle.Surf I meant to say earlier,nice finds!

image.jpg

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread