What's new

glass tube?? (update photo)

aa battery

Gold Member
Joined
Oct 11, 2006
Messages
10,646
Reaction score
3,259
Golden Thread
0
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
hydrometer :dontknow:
 

Attachments

  • Picture 009.webp
    Picture 009.webp
    14.1 KB · Views: 566
Re: glass tube??

???
 

Attachments

  • Picture 008.webp
    Picture 008.webp
    18.7 KB · Views: 539
Upvote 0
Re: glass tube??

Hey like the pics, must be using that new camera. Don't most hydrometers have a squeeze bulb to bring the water up in to a main glass tube. That piece looks like the interior floater that measures the battery strength.
Could be wrong. Just a thought.
 
Upvote 0
Re: glass tube??

FCCDFEd said:
Hey like the pics, must be using that new camera. Don't most hydrometers have a squeeze bulb to bring the water up in to a main glass tube. That piece looks like the interior floater that measures the battery strength.
Could be wrong. Just a thought.
:dontknow:
 
Upvote 0
Re: glass tube??

NOLA_Ken said:
I think you might be right.....looks like one to me anyway.
:dontknow:
 
Upvote 0
Re: glass tube??

Looks like the float type thermometer I've used in fish aquariums in the past. :icon_scratch: Now I use a type that sticks on to the glass like tape.That is if I'm seeing what I think I am. :laughing9:
Take Care,
Pete, :hello:
 

Attachments

  • fish-tank-thermometers[1].webp
    fish-tank-thermometers[1].webp
    4.7 KB · Views: 541
Upvote 0
Re: glass tube??

I cannot say for sure that it is a hydrometer. Where I work we use a hydrometer to measure the water content in alcohol. You drop it in your alcohol sample and the scale measures the depth that it sinks to. The water content is calculated using the value on the scale and the temperature of the alcohol. Our hydrometers are similar to this item but not exactly like it.
 
Upvote 0
Re: glass tube??

I am a wet plate collodion photographer. I shoot tintypes, ambrotypes and glass negatives with 19th century equipment and I use a similar hydrometer to measure the silver nitrate content of my silver bath. Hydrometers are used to measure the specific gravity of liquids.
 
Upvote 0
Re: glass tube??

rjs123 said:
I am a wet plate collodion photographer. I shoot tintypes, ambrotypes and glass negatives with 19th century equipment and I use a similar hydrometer to measure the silver nitrate content of my silver bath. Hydrometers are used to measure the specific gravity of liquids.
ya know we were givin this item plus sum old camera equipment. sounds about right.
 
Upvote 0
Re: glass tube??

Looks like an older candy thermomether.

Beth
 

Attachments

  • candy thermometer 001.webp
    candy thermometer 001.webp
    5.7 KB · Views: 413
  • candy thermometer 002.webp
    candy thermometer 002.webp
    41.9 KB · Views: 397
Upvote 0
Re: glass tube??

Hyrdometer.

Also used in beer brewing to calculate the % of alcohol in the brew (among other things).

hydrometer.jpg


DCMatt
 
Upvote 0
Re: glass tube??

I don't know what else is hooked to it.A shot of the whole thing would be great if there is more to it. :-\ But from what I still see that part is a thermometer.I still plainly see the tube for mercury one side even looks to have a F for degree fahrenheit other side for celsius.
 

Attachments

  • Picture 009[1].webp
    Picture 009[1].webp
    23 KB · Views: 371
  • Picture 008[1].webp
    Picture 008[1].webp
    21.6 KB · Views: 382
  • Picture 009[1].webp
    Picture 009[1].webp
    15.8 KB · Views: 375
Upvote 0
Re: glass tube??

DCMatt has hit it on the head.....I have been home brewing for 21yrs now and that is a hydrometer as to calculate the % of alcohol in beer/wine or the amount of sugar to add to the must as to gain a certain % of alcohol.
Cheers
 
Upvote 0
Re: glass tube??

AKiwi said:
DCMatt has hit it on the head.....I have been home brewing for 21yrs now and that is a hydrometer as to calculate the % of alcohol in beer/wine or the amount of sugar to add to the must as to gain a certain % of alcohol.
Cheers
The temp correction note also IDs it as Hydrometer :wink:
 
Upvote 0
whole tube
 

Attachments

  • Picture 042.webp
    Picture 042.webp
    119.6 KB · Views: 242
Upvote 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom