"Go play in the outhouse!" More great pictures added down the thread!

halfdime

Silver Member
Oct 31, 2006
Zelienople
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
"Go play in the outhouse!" More great pictures added down the thread!

Not a likely command, I'll admit, but it probably got your attention :wink:. I went to an old ghost town with Kiros32 today for a little detecting; we arrived in a pretty good drizzle so we sheltered the detectors and started to dig out a privy hole. This town is practically in my cousin's backyard and he tells me there were once 44 Sears houses there. None are left, but there is plenty of evidence that a little neighborhood once stood on the spot. And it's all ours to detect, or dig, whichever we want to do. I'll save the suspense: we never turned our machines on, but dug. And dug. And dug. Finally, at about six and a half feet, we hit the bottom. Between our first shovel full and the last bucket of dirt at the bottom, we found dozens of bottles intact, ranging from this lovely Milk of Magnesia to milk and whiskey bottles, medicine bottles and all kinds of artifacts from the early 20th century. These lovely insulators were connected by wire when they were rescued from the bottom of the outhouse; they're real beauties! One of these marbles was spotted in the pit, the other appeared in my sifting screen. Kiros32 will be posting his own pictures, including two clay marbles, and we'll clean up everything for a group shot prior to our dig on Sunday. That's the next forecasted nice day, and I'm already fantasizing about what we might find! We were disappointed not to find a single coin in the pit, but there are plenty of other holes calling our names. We hope to add DrDetector to a hunt out there in the near future, too.

Attachments

• privy 001 (Small).jpg
    privy 001 (Small).jpg
    44.6 KB · Views: 1,444
  • privy 002 (Small).jpg
    privy 002 (Small).jpg
    26.4 KB · Views: 1,433
  • privy 003 (Small).jpg
    privy 003 (Small).jpg
    58.8 KB · Views: 1,444
  • privy 004 (Small).jpg
    privy 004 (Small).jpg
    56.3 KB · Views: 1,436
Upvote 0
OP
OP
halfdime

halfdime

Silver Member
Oct 31, 2006
Zelienople
Detector(s) used
White's XLT

Kiros32

Bronze Member
Feb 21, 2006
Pittsburgh, PA
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Whites MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: "Go play in the outhouse!" More great pictures added down the thread!

halfdime said:
Kiros32 contacted me last night and alerted me to a corroded penny that we had overlooked somehow; it was so badly corrupted that he couldn't tell if it was wheat or Indian. Here's my question for experienced privy divers: does copper suffer? I assume that it would. How about silver?

Some of the porcelain actually has a brown/red tone to it, where I can tell it was buried next to a piece of iron. I am thinking this is what happened with the penny as well. I think at most we may be able to figure out if its a wheat or an indian, but probably can't get a date from it.

Mirage

Silver Member
Sep 16, 2005
Cleveland, OH

Henry,
How are you? You guys got a good site there. Some really nice bottles. Gotta be some decent coinage around.

Bob

mrs.oroblanco

Silver Member
Jan 2, 2008
Black Hills of South Dakota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo & Garrett Stinger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

WOW! Some really great finds!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You have washed your hands a few hundred times, right????????? :laughing7: :laughing7:

B

HISPAN

Gold Member
Mar 15, 2009
Detector(s) used
WHITES MXT ,GARRET ACE150,GARRET SEA HUNT MARK II.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

I love his collection of bottles, especially bottle poison ;D What would be used? ???

texjim

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2009
schuylkill county pa.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
whites xlt,vx3
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

love the old glass. good job

cassbiz

Feb 17, 2007
Schmölln, Germany
Detector(s) used
OKM, Whites, JW Fisher, Mala
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

WTG, Sweet bottles.

Kiros32

Bronze Member
Feb 21, 2006
Pittsburgh, PA
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Whites MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Thanks for the comments guys. What's in the pictures is only half of the bottles that we found. Henry took all of the "big" bottles to clean up, so the group shot will be even more impressive! We are planning on hitting another privy tomorrow, so stay tuned for more results.

OP
OP
halfdime

halfdime

Silver Member
Oct 31, 2006
Zelienople
Detector(s) used
White's XLT

Mirage said:
Henry,
How are you? You guys got a good site there. Some really nice bottles. Gotta be some decent coinage around.

Bob
Bob, nice to see you posting! Why don't you come over to PA and dig a privy? It's amazing! So far, the coinage has been sparse; we have a lot of brush clearing to do in order to detect properly.

OP
OP
halfdime

halfdime

Silver Member
Oct 31, 2006
Zelienople
Detector(s) used
White's XLT

Kiros32 said:
Thanks for the comments guys. What's in the pictures is only half of the bottles that we found. Henry took all of the "big" bottles to clean up, so the group shot will be even more impressive! We are planning on hitting another privy tomorrow, so stay tuned for more results.
For anyone who has collected dug bottles, you know that cleaning can be a chore. I did the soap, water and bottle brush thing, but it wasn't enough. So, I went and got some play sand and added it to the warm, soapy water. Shake that combination in the bottle for a time and you'll be amazed what it will do! Just remember not to wash the sand down the drain :tongue3:.

Ray S ECenFL

Silver Member
Feb 17, 2007
East Central Florida WP
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT / M6

If the other pits produce like this one did, you will have to build a wing on your house to hold it all. LOL Nice finds and in good shape too.

Congrtats on a great dig site.

Ray S

DigginThePast

Gold Member
Dec 31, 2008
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Awesome group of finds! :icon_thumright: Can't wait to see more.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread