Going to hunt for diamonds near Murfreesboro this summer. Need info.

craigsaaron

Mar 8, 2009
Youngsville, LA
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Quick Draw II
I'm from South Louisiana and my wife and I are wanting to make a trip soon to hunt diamonds in your state. Has anybody been to hunt? We would appreciate any info or suggestions you may be able to provide, (lodging, hunting tips, places to see, etc). Want to bring my M/D. Can you hunt the park? Can anybody give me some areas near diamond mine to M/D? Well enough questions, you get the point. Thanks for your time.

itmaiden

Sep 28, 2005
The last new area at the park is in the West Drain Field whereas there have been some pretty nice finds. But nice white flawless diamonds are still found in the East Drain Field. The park guides will direct you.

The park had dug a 24 ft trench, and they also scattered much of the new dig across adjacent land areas. You can also find some nice garnets. If you are into any mineral collecting there are a variety of minerals at the crater.

Where you stay depends on the kind of lodging you are looking for and what price range. Let me know what you want and I will direct you. There are nice cabins at Lake Greeson as someone suggested. Higher altitude terrain to let you know. There is also a new nice Bed and Breakfast in the area, however, not widely advertised.

For about 8 hours of serious digging you can average 2 diamonds. The average diamond find is around .25 points or less. However, don't throw away any industrial diamonds as they can bring $10 to $100 per point.

The Diamond Park has information of where you can sell your stones.

On lodging you have to book in advance and I mean NOW ! Most places will already be booked up for the tourist season especially labor day, so get on the phone with your credit card and start shopping.

Don't overlook staying at a hotel in Glenwood, a small community north of Murphreesboro.

Most places allow smoking so can be difficult if you are a non-smoker. If you are really nice folks you might get permission to rent at Diamond Johns upstairs Bed and Breakfast. He has a 3 rooms suite with it's own living room for $100 night as of last years pricing.
He is opposite the Little Missouri River which runs between his place and the Crater of Diamonds. Not a place to be if you don't like snakes...speaking of, you can run into copperheads and rattlers anytime at the Crater. While not often common in the diamond search area, they can be present and hard to spot. Remember just because a place is considered a "recreation area" doesn't mean there aren't dangers.

itmaiden

craigsaaron said:
I'm from South Louisiana and my wife and I are wanting to make a trip soon to hunt diamonds in your state. Has anybody been to hunt? We would appreciate any info or suggestions you may be able to provide, (lodging, hunting tips, places to see, etc). Want to bring my M/D. Can you hunt the park? Can anybody give me some areas near diamond mine to M/D? Well enough questions, you get the point. Thanks for your time.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread