Gold chain

mike b

Sep 21, 2012
STATEN ISLAND NY
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ONLY MINELABS, and now one Detector Pro Underwater.
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Chain tarnished.jpg Chain polished.jpg

I was getting ready to sell some metal so was sorting things out the last few days. When I find things it gets sorted fast, garbage, silver, gold, interesting or relic. This chain was in the silver box but I really thought it was brass and fake until this morning. I looked closer and found a very clear "Italy 14K" on the clasp but still had my doubts. It felt dirty, like it was greasy or sticky so I washed it in hot water and it got brighter. I took some metal polish and did the center of the chain real quick and realized I may have made a mistake, that's the first picture with the dirty ends and semi clean center. I just got it out of the tumbler and now I have a stunning 20" 12.7gr 14K chain. No memory where or when I found it but could go back to 2009.

Upvote 10

xr7ator

Gold Member
Sep 2, 2011
Denver, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Gold, ATX, MH7 (oldie!) Minelab Explorer SE Pro, EQ800
14k rarely tarnishes so I assume that you have tested it for gold content? Brass polishes up real nice you know...

Hope it's the real deal!

OP
OP
mike b

mike b

Sep 21, 2012
STATEN ISLAND NY
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ONLY MINELABS, and now one Detector Pro Underwater.
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
14k rarely tarnishes so I assume that you have tested it for gold content? Brass polishes up real nice you know...

Hope it's the real deal!

I think it had something on it more than it was tarnished. I have an idea where it came from and 14k does come out discolored sometimes depending how long it was in that environment. It will get tested soon !

Turbo21

Bronze Member
Jun 24, 2014
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Eurotek pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good luck. I have never see 14k tarnish. Every piece of 14k I have found has been bright shiny. Hope it proves to be real for you

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Nice chain, sure hope it's real 14K! :occasion14:

Silver Worm

Aug 26, 2012
Columbus, Ms.
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Eurotek Pro, Fisher F11, Garrett Pro Pointer. AT, Lesche digging tool. 5x8 and 8.5x11 DD coils, 4.5 Super Sniper coil.
Primary Interest:
Other
I found a 14K chain marked Italy. Had it tested and it was plated; be careful.

Bible

Jan 6, 2020
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Scratch test it on the botton of a porcelain plate black or grey means brass solid shiny gold color means its gold.

Turbo21

Bronze Member
Jun 24, 2014
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Eurotek pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Its what I expected, Tested good for 10K not the 14K marked Ill take it !

Congrats!!! That would explain the tarnish

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Its what I expected, Tested good for 10K not the 14K marked Ill take it !
10 is better than a plating anyway-congrats on the re-find.

Joe-Dirt

Silver Member
Jan 18, 2018
Central Massachusetts
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab equinox 800, Manticore & XP Deus II , 2 Garrett carrots, Minelab find 35 pin pointer, NX6 shovel , 31โ€ Lesche shovel, whites digmaster, Lesche hand trowel, 3-5 gallon buckets full of crappola
Primary Interest:
Other
Weโ€™ve dug very old 14k rings from a lake bed this past winter and almost all came up tarnished in some way. If yours was sticky or greasy it could have been in a substance that mad3 the dirt stick better, Iโ€™d test it for sure, at 2k an once, nice payday!!!!!!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread