What's new

Gold Colored BiCentenial Half

mick56

Bronze Member
Joined
Jun 2, 2007
Messages
1,348
Reaction score
1,149
Golden Thread
1
Location
Southern Wisconsin
🥇 Banner finds
1
Detector(s) used
ATPro
Found this bi half in a roll today. It is gold colored, although the high spots are worn off already. Is it anything special? Doesn't show up that well in the pic, but the one on the right is gold colored.
 

Attachments

  • goldhalf.webp
    goldhalf.webp
    10.6 KB · Views: 225
Upvote 0
mick56 said:
Found this bi half in a roll today. It is gold colored, although the high spots are worn off already. Is it anything special? Doesn't show up that well in the pic, but the one on the right is gold colored.
I would check the 2009 Redbook, you may have something very special there!
 
i havegotten a few of those too. it is a post mint gold plate. nothing special i don't save any of them i release them back into the wild
 
Mick, sorry for my reply, I was just havin fun...just throw that coin back. Now, if you find a '64 - 70 plated half, keep it!
Also, I have found chrome-plated silver (dimes) and also gold-plated silver (dimes).
Just make sure of the dates before ya throw 'em back!
 
hey fistfull i was wondering what was WRONG with you???? LOL ;D ;D
 
mick56 said:
Found this bi half in a roll today. It is gold colored, although the high spots are worn off already. Is it anything special? Doesn't show up that well in the pic, but the one on the right is gold colored.

There are lots of painted and plated coins out there. The mint does not produce gold plated or painted halves. As far as I know, and none are listed in the "Red Book"

In most cases these are after mint alterations or altered by someone who is really boared. Or maybe some one created a real cheesy 50th anniversary gift for a loved one.

Toss it back, it actually looks painted.

Mojo
 
I keep the nice gold plated bicentennials. They are all aftermarket electroplate jobs that I guess sold for quite a bit over spot when they first came out. The ones that look crappy go back. I have given them as inexpensive gifts here and there and the people thought they were cool because for some reason the whole bicentennial aspect attracts some folks.

Jim
 
I kept a few gold plated halves just for the last page of the current Whitman Half book. They look cool.

But they won't sell for anythin gmore than $0.50. So keep a few if you like them, but don't think you have anything worth anything there. :-)
 
I got five rolls of them last week. Their will be plenty more, throw them back.
 
wow you all get a little wacky on bank holidays
 
Fistfulladirt said:
Mick, sorry for my reply, I was just havin fun...just throw that coin back. Now, if you find a '64 - 70 plated half, keep it!
Also, I have found chrome-plated silver (dimes) and also gold-plated silver (dimes).
Just make sure of the dates before ya throw 'em back!
Are you joking? No reason to keep any of them unless you want to for an oddball set.
 
enamel7 said:
Fistfulladirt said:
Mick, sorry for my reply, I was just havin fun...just throw that coin back. Now, if you find a '64 - 70 plated half, keep it!
Also, I have found chrome-plated silver (dimes) and also gold-plated silver (dimes).
Just make sure of the dates before ya throw 'em back!
Are you joking? No reason to keep any of them unless you want to for an oddball set.
So then, if the plated coin is silver, it's not worth more than face value? That can't be right! FFD
 
SSorry , I had a brain-fa rt. :-[
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom