OP
southfork

southfork

Bronze Member
Jun 15, 2014
California
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You likely know that the gap in the screen metal can be filled in or better patched by welding.
It looks like the screen may not last to much longer as it wears out with some more material being processed.

One can tack weld the nuts and bolts to help from getting loose etc.
It would make it a pain to change screens and would destroy the powder coat on the outside. The original nuts were like nylocks. I was using lock washers, the bolt / screw heads wear down with use and come loose/break. Factory parts in the mail.

Assembler

Silver Member
May 10, 2017
Detector(s) used
Whites, Fisher, Garrett, and Falcon.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
It would make it a pain to change screens and would destroy the powder coat on the outside. The original nuts were like nylocks. I was using lock washers, the bolt / screw heads wear down with use and come loose/break. Factory parts in the mail.
Correct this is part of the design. You may find out that the powder coat will decay or wear.

My tip is to use grade 8 bolts and then hard face some extra nuts to thread onto the bolts. Forget the factory stuff. Use some light tack welds to hold both the bolt and nuts so that some light grinding will cut it loose.

My second tip is to tack weld on the outside of the factory screen a new screen that you have made up or have someone make it for you. You may need to use a different way of holding the screen is the down side.

OP
OP
southfork

southfork

Bronze Member
Jun 15, 2014
California
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Correct this is part of the design. You may find out that the powder coat will decay or wear.

My tip is to use grade 8 bolts and then hard face some extra nuts to thread onto the bolts. Forget the factory stuff. Use some light tack welds to hold both the bolt and nuts so that some light grinding will cut it loose.

My second tip is to tack weld on the outside of the factory screen a new screen that you have made up or have someone make it for you. You may need to use a different way of holding the screen is the down side.
My tip is for you to buy your own mill to modify. My mill works great as it is only taking a few minutes to change out screens or chains. Why in hell would I make things harder to change out.

Assembler

Silver Member
May 10, 2017
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
My tip is for you to buy your own mill to modify. My mill works great as it is only taking a few minutes to change out screens or chains. Why in hell would I make things harder to change out.
Ok. The mill is working good for you with few issues.

Last edited:

Reed Lukens

Silver Member
Jan 1, 2013
Congres, AZ/ former California Outlawed Gold Miner
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero, Whites MXT, Vsat, GMT, 5900Di Pro, Minelab GPX 5000, GPXtreme, 2200SD, Excalibur 1000!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A little sample that was found with a metal detector. Crushed by hand then panned to wash away some of the dirt and clay? The photo is macro so real small particles, but the quartz shows and what looks like iron and free gold. I think we need a small smelter to retrieve the values trying to speed up the recovery what's your thoughts ?
Either charged mercury and a retort or flux and smelt... the choice is yours.

OP
OP
southfork

southfork

Bronze Member
Jun 15, 2014
California
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Grinding samples today this is a piece of vein material off a mine waste dump. I single jacked it into pieces then into the jaw crusher a trip though the chain mill and onto the ribbed sluice. Cleaned the sluice and into the blue bowl, panned the concentrates I have Gold just a pinch along with some Black and White sands and pyrites. I asked my son to go back and get some more samples this is another new spot. He wasn't there more than a few minutes when someone pulled up and was walking around his car looking in the windows. My son came crashing out of the brush and the low life jumped in his car and was setting a land speed record. I need to drop him off you can't leave your vehicle on these secondary roads even the well-traveled ones.

Attachments

• 20230218_093349.jpg
    20230218_093349.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 44
  • 20230218_093402.jpg
    20230218_093402.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 42
  • 20230218_115927.jpg
    20230218_115927.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 40
OP
OP
southfork

southfork

Bronze Member
Jun 15, 2014
California
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Graphite and Gold this is about the ore sample above.
I found this information on the net about graphite In veins found in high grade metamorphic rocks, graphite often attains 99% purity. A variety of metals are found to accumulate in the graphite, mainly at the margin of these veins. Gold, in particular, becomes concentrated at vein margins, suggesting a hydrothermal transport mechanism and accumulation by carbon. It has been postulated that graphite becomes activated at the vein margins under high temperature conditions and it is this activation that provides sites for the accumulation of metals. Graphite has been reported from hydrothermal vents in the sea floor and these are associated with sulfides, particularly those of antimony. Even though the origin of graphite is still being debated, a deep-seated carbon source and metal-rich solutions appear to play a major role in the accumulation of metals in vein graphite. The ore sample had no visible free gold even after breaking into small pieces. But after processing a good amount of gold showed.

Tesorodeoro

Bronze Member
Jan 21, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Graphite and Gold this is about the ore sample above.
I found this information on the net about graphite In veins found in high grade metamorphic rocks, graphite often attains 99% purity. A variety of metals are found to accumulate in the graphite, mainly at the margin of these veins. Gold, in particular, becomes concentrated at vein margins, suggesting a hydrothermal transport mechanism and accumulation by carbon. It has been postulated that graphite becomes activated at the vein margins under high temperature conditions and it is this activation that provides sites for the accumulation of metals. Graphite has been reported from hydrothermal vents in the sea floor and these are associated with sulfides, particularly those of antimony. Even though the origin of graphite is still being debated, a deep-seated carbon source and metal-rich solutions appear to play a major role in the accumulation of metals in vein graphite. The ore sample had no visible free gold even after breaking into small pieces. But after processing a good amount of gold showed.
Gold in Graphite deposits sure are difficult to detect!

Assembler

Silver Member
May 10, 2017
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
A lot of nature's graphite is easy to sound off with a metal detector. Hard to figure out with the metal detector when the values pinch off though.

OP
OP
southfork

southfork

Bronze Member
Jun 15, 2014
California
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just running small samples off the mine waste piles about a 1/4 bucket at a time. Trying to find the best pile for my small-scale operation. The claim ground dried enough to get the old pickup in close makes filling buckets easier. Trying to carry loaded buckets across quartz heaps is not fun.

Assembler

Silver Member
May 10, 2017
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Just running small samples off the mine waste piles about a 1/4 bucket at a time. Trying to find the best pile for my small-scale operation. The claim ground dried enough to get the old pickup in close makes filling buckets easier. Trying to carry loaded buckets across quartz heaps is not fun.
If you can sink posts or use trees for a light zip line for moving loaded buckets.

Tesorodeoro

Bronze Member
Jan 21, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes, but you will probably agree that this hybrid “hard rock mining” pays much better than placer mining. They cast aside quite a bit of values and were happy doing it. I try to keep the same mindset and not wring my hands about losing minimal values that don’t move the scale. I’ve seen a real nice recirculating shaker table set up that was fed by a two stage jaw crusher/roller set up. Was pretty neat. Drop a softball size piece of ore in and walk over and watch the gold dribble into the vial. They found that the “hot rocks” ended up being loaded with gold. Made it easy to sort buckets of ore. Guy ended up dying from roasting sulfides carelessly too many times.

OP
OP
southfork

southfork

Bronze Member
Jun 15, 2014
California
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's been snowing off and on for a few days' time to repair and upgrade my cleanup sluice. The ribbed mat was lifting along the edge silicone calking failing I'm adding a vibration motor to help drop the fines, I hope. There was a little gold underneath the mat gold sure has a way to find places to hide. It's to cold sitting outside feeding the cleanup up sluice anyway. I have buckets of rocks to crush and dump into totes and save for a sunny day. Frozen slush floating in my recirculating system I need to clean out the muck anyway. Happy Mining

OP
OP
southfork

southfork

Bronze Member
Jun 15, 2014
California
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm working on my ribbed sluice and Seth is hand crushing quartz. The quartz sample was clean no pyrites no dirt it ground up into white sand and gold. This was a metal detector find from a day ago between storms. The sample was the size of a large egg a dozen of these would be great. And a photo of the vibration motor on my cleanup sluice I have buckets of material waiting.

Attachments

• 20230305_141149.jpg
    20230305_141149.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 40
  • 20230305_141210.jpg
    20230305_141210.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 43
  • 20230225_114914.jpg
    20230225_114914.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 42
  • AD80FCCC-.jpg
    AD80FCCC-.jpg
    209.2 KB · Views: 37
  • IMG_1828.jpg
    IMG_1828.jpg
    423.9 KB · Views: 36
Last edited:

desertgolddigger

Bronze Member
May 31, 2015
Twentynine Palms, California
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Time Ranger
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
After drying it weighed 13.5 grams nice rock and a good pinch of fines still in the white sands.
That's quite a nice rock. Maybe someday I'll discover something others have missed, and have a great time working it. Hope your Son and friend keep finding those paying rocks. Seems the gold you find at least pays for the groceries. :-)

Last edited:
OP
OP
southfork

southfork

Bronze Member
Jun 15, 2014
California
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OP
OP
southfork

southfork

Bronze Member
Jun 15, 2014
California
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Snowing so my son is crushing yesterdays finds indoors lol. Kitchen sink prospecting Seth is onto a new patch behind the house.

Attachments

• IMG_1874(1).jpg
    IMG_1874(1).jpg
    344.6 KB · Views: 24
  • 20230308_085250.jpg
    20230308_085250.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 25

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread