Golfer loses head, somebody else lost a whatsit

jsandin

Nov 26, 2008
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
An hour in a suburban park yielded the attached.

Cruddy zinc penny, washer, 11-iron golf club head, toy wheel, and a fitting made of what appears to be blue-anodized aluminum. One end is sealed with a cylindrical cap. I removed about 1 TB of gunk that looked and smelled like pipe sealing compound from this thing.

Is it a safety valve of some kind, designed to pop under pressure?

Also....what are golf irons generally made of? It seemed so heavy when I found it, at first I thought it was lead, then brass, but now I'm thinking it's pot metal.

At least the weather was good.

Attachments

• Finds 3-18-09.jpg
    Finds 3-18-09.jpg
    44.6 KB · Views: 433

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Golf clubs now days are made of all kinds of exotic metals, but the one pictured is probably some alloy of steel. They may be hollowed and filled with lead to add the proper weight. An 11 iron is kinda' rare, and would commonly be called a pitching wedge, or at least have a very open face angle to the shaft. The fitting is a hydraulic hose connection as someone else has said. Don't know what that other object is? Not the penny, the other gizmo! :D Monty

Upvote 0

Tony in SC

Gold Member
Jun 8, 2006
Upstate South Carolina
Detector(s) used
Whites, Minelab, Tesoro, and custom machines
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The hydraulic fitting is a compression to flare adapter. The wheel looks it came from a toy wind-up train. Tony

Upvote 0

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
70's Whites TM Amphibian, HH Pulse, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Top left- Northwestern Golf Co. iron

Bottom left- lightweight blue aluminum flare fitting with a flare nut for hydraulic hose often used on aircraft. flare blue aluminum.jpg

Bottom right- steel washer

Top right- can you clean it and post another pic?

Upvote 0

mrs.oroblanco

Silver Member
Jan 2, 2008
Black Hills of South Dakota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo & Garrett Stinger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not sure of the size of that little wheel - does it seem to have bearings?

We used to build skateboards (long ago, when they first came out), with similar looking wheels.

Attachments

• homemade skateboard wheel.jpg
    homemade skateboard wheel.jpg
    9.1 KB · Views: 200
Upvote 0
OP
OP
jsandin

jsandin

Nov 26, 2008
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
bigcypresshunter said:
Top left- Northwestern Golf Co. iron

Bottom left- lightweight blue aluminum flare fitting with a flare nut for hydraulic hose often used on aircraft.

Bottom right- steel washer

Top right- can you clean it and post another pic?

That's as clean as I could get it. What looks like mud is actually melted plastic. I see spokes on the wheel. My theory is that some creative child staged a bad toy motorcycle accident. Kind of like what I used to do with my chemistry supplies, for instance: Making slow-burn gunpowder and melting Hot Wheels cars that today are worth $180, etc.

I think the wheel is made of zinc, or some other brittle gray metal.

Thanks for the picture. That's what the finish on the fitting looks like, although it doesn't show up well in the photo.

Upvote 0

dozer dan

Jan 14, 2008
PNW
Primary Interest:
Other
QUOTE[ My theory is that some creative child staged a bad toy motorcycle accident. Kind of like what I used to do with my chemistry supplies, for instance: Making slow-burn gunpowder and melting Hot Wheels cars that today are worth $180, etc.

i have found a lot of melted toys and other relics around where people dumped their burn barrels.

it wasn't that long ago that there were a lot of people burning their household trash on a daily basis.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
jsandin

jsandin

Nov 26, 2008
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
dozer dan said:
it wasn't that long ago that there were a lot of people burning their household trash on a daily basis.

That's a smell that takes me back to childhood. I rarely smell it anymore.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread