Golly in a Jam

John Winter

Aug 23, 2014
England
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Sometimes the more mundane finds are the most interesting - like the Robertson’s Golly shared recently by Roger Lewis aka ‘coin shooter’ on the UK Northern Relics forum. Golly is probably best known in England, appearing during the 1920s as the advertising logo for the Robertson's Jams.

The badges became so popular that other items of Golly advertising merchandise became available and each year bought new items to add to you collection. It is a little known fact that the badges became a great strain on the company as nearly all monies raised from sales were donated to the various charities that Robertson's supported. These charities included Cancer Research, Cystic Fibrosis, The Royal National Lifeboat Institution, Leukaemia Research and the 2001 Children in need Appeal. Eventually though Golly suffered the fate of the PC brigade as the continual habit of crediting Golly to the word ‘Golliwog’ finally seen him off. This is almost incomprehensible to fathom as anybody who takes the time to examine the history and paperwork of the Golly sensation will soon realise that even as far back as 1920s the word ‘Golliwog’ was not used, Robertson's simply referred to their beloved iconic logo as Golly.

It is believed that the firm was so taken aback that anybody could even think their company brand stood for racist views that they didn’t even attempt to defend themselves and instead chose to retire Golly even though several surveys supported them.

So one of the greatest ever supporters of charities who stood for healthy eating, recycling, our children's safety whilst promoting sport and fitness, was finally seen off in the name of racism.

The Golly was as much a victim of racism as any other. He was a large part of most children's childhood and stood for no more than jam and the fun of collecting his many friends and bright coloured collectables. As such he should have been recognised as the pride of his era! However, he was removed from labels in 2002. Thanks to golligosh.co.uk from which this information has been extracted.

This page, sans pictures, has been taken from the latest NRH magazine. If you’d like to see more, then please click on the link to my blog, which is optional.

Golly in a Jam | johnwinter.net

BARKER

Bronze Member
Nov 1, 2011
BOSTON
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, Garrett GMH, Toltec 100, Whites PI 3000, Fisher 75, Whites Silver Eagle 2, Whites Beachcomber, and several others from 1968 to Present
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi; That sure is interesting info there. Being American I have only heard of "Golly Gee". I never heard of Gollywog. I did not even know where the term came from but everyone I knew used it back then. Not anymore, Thanks for that input. PEACE:RONB :leprechaun-hat:

OP
OP
John Winter

John Winter

Aug 23, 2014
England
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have started a Golly Gallery - Badges found by detectorists ... but you will have to go the blog to view. Sorry G.I.B.
As a penance I will go down to the bottom of the garden and eat a few juicy worms!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread