Good day out swinging with my son

Stretch Da Truth

Bronze Member
Jan 13, 2017
Detector(s) used
XP Déus & a Carrot!
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
So the snow finally melted in the yard, it was in the mid 40's and my son and I decided to take the detectors out and have some fun. Put in the batteries, get the belts on, grab the accessories and we are ready to roll so lets head out.

Decided to see what was in the back yard so he started swinging and I was his digger. Had him playing with the tones, adjusting the sensitivity, discriminating out iron, foil and tab, notching in the goodies and we dug up a ton of stuff. We had to see what it was and wanted to run all the material under the unit with out any settings tweaked to see what this and that showed and sounded like.

He found some clad, some odd metal objects, a big linkage for a tractor and a bullet. He was pretty excited, especially by the bullet. Pretty big top, not sure of the caliber, but he was excited and said I could do a quick sweep to see if he missed anything. I found a couple odd scraps, a missed penny and then I had an ear to ear grin as I pulled out what looks like an old Match Box Merc Cougar. It was starting to rain so we headed in to clean up the goodies and see what we found.

1st All.jpg

Cleaned up the goodies and here is the bullet, the car, 1 Dime and 17 Pennies. We had some fun, played with the settings on our detectors and got some good info.

1st Best.jpg

The rain had stopped and we decided to do some more of the back yard. It is pretty big and we only did a 1/4 of it before so why not.

My son said I could do the swinging this time and he would be the dig man! That was how he said it as he put on some knee pads, turned his hat around backwards, put the digger and pin pointer on and gloved up. That was cool as I had a few new programs I wanted to try out.

Went out and had some good targets. Passed on a bunch of junk items but did dig a few. One signal was just so strange and had everything going crazy. Turned out to be a big metal plate from a tractor or something like that. Had bolts, nuts, straps and metal. Combo of different materials and that was what made everything go crazy. That's ok, this is how we learn. Found and dug some slaw, got some nails some odd metal parts, some clad, a bullet top and a shell of different calibers. Hit a hot object, ringing in really loud. I make an X with my foot and the next thing you know, my son has the same ear to ear I had earlier. We found another car. This one was a Hot Wheels for sure. Really crazy lines, futuristic car for sure, can't wait to clean it up and see. It was getting late so we headed in to see what we found and make some supper.

2nd All.jpg

Put some food on and I came down to see my son had pretty much cleaned up all the goodies and put the scrap in the scrap bin. Found some kids scissors, a bullet shell, bullet top, an old Hot Wheels Turbo Fire, 3 Dimes and 12 Pennies. Had a ton of fun swinging, digging and hanging with my boy!! Hope you had fun swinging as well.

2nd Best.jpg

We ate supper and discussed the day. He was totally into it an had an awesome day. He remembered a lot of the settings we played with and has the lingo down pretty good. We are looking forward to lining up something for next weekend.
:occasion14:

Upvote 17

BagLady

Bronze Member
Mar 13, 2015
Mississippi
Detector(s) used
cheap
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
And the memories he will have...priceless! Way to go DAD!

OP
OP
Stretch Da Truth

Stretch Da Truth

Bronze Member
Jan 13, 2017
Detector(s) used
XP Déus & a Carrot!
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
And the memories he will have...priceless! Way to go DAD!

Thank you! Not only him, I will cherish the memories as well. I take plenty of pics for future reference and digital memories.
He got me into this hobby and I am hooked!!

nov2101

Jul 6, 2012
NW CT
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites Spectra V3i with 2x3" eclipse, 6" DD,12" DD & 12"Hot shot.
Minelab CTX 3030 with 6" DD. 11"& 17"
2@Vibebra pin point probes
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
GOOD memories forever for both, tell him great job!:occasion18:

cjon455

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2012
Northeast PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Garrett Propointer
Garrett Propointer-AT
Sampson T handle shovel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ah man I miss detecting with my son. He was 12 when we got started in the hobby. He got me interested from watching the detecting shows on TV. Now he's almost 17 and too busy chasing girls lol.�� my other son is 10 and is starting to get interested so I got another hunting buddy. Congrats on the finds and time spent with your boy!

dirtdigginfool

Silver Member
Mar 8, 2014
south central ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
At Pro At Max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great post, Stretch! A family that plays together stays together..and that's one way to dig a Merc! Lol...congrats on a great day...Ddf

devldog

Silver Member
Mar 9, 2012
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT ALL PRO, Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Stretch, Congrat's to both you and your son on a great hobby that you both can enjoy. Thanks too, for the memories. My very first car? A 1968 Mercury Cougar that was left to me when my Grandfather passed away. Well Done on all the finds and continued success to the two of you.

Cosmo3

Feb 8, 2017
Chattanooga, Tn.
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Pro-Pointer AT, Hori-Hori Knife, Gerber Folding Shovel
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Children grow up so fast, do everything you can with your son mate. I remember like yesterday my sons first step and that was 44 years ago.

dsdigger

Bronze Member
Jan 5, 2017
Shenandoah Valley, VA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600, Whites MX Sport, Whites Coinmaster, Minelab Explorer XS, Kellyco Vulcan 360, Lesche Digger, Rattler headphone, Park Ranger Bag by "Freeloader"
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on the finds and the fun time with you son. Those are the "gold" days. Hope you get some more good buddy hunting days to come!

OP
OP
Stretch Da Truth

Stretch Da Truth

Bronze Member
Jan 13, 2017
Detector(s) used
XP Déus & a Carrot!
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Congrats to you both
Thanks! Good boy & good times go great together!!
tn_outstanding.gif
Nice finds Stretch!
Thanks!
GOOD memories forever for both, tell him great job!:occasion18:
Awesome memories, we have a ton of fun. I will let him know.
Sounds like the perfect day!
It was perfect!
Ah man I miss detecting with my son. He was 12 when we got started in the hobby. He got me interested from watching the detecting shows on TV. Now he's almost 17 and too busy chasing girls lol.�� my other son is 10 and is starting to get interested so I got another hunting buddy. Congrats on the finds and time spent with your boy!
Thanks for the kind words and sharing... One son is off now and you got another starting out. You are a lucky man. Enjoy while you can! Time flies!!
Great post, Stretch! A family that plays together stays together..and that's one way to dig a Merc! Lol...congrats on a great day...Ddf
Thank you! We do play together and have great times. Love the Merc find idea. I am going to use that one for sure!!
Stretch, Congrat's to both you and your son on a great hobby that you both can enjoy. Thanks too, for the memories. My very first car? A 1968 Mercury Cougar that was left to me when my Grandfather passed away. Well Done on all the finds and continued success to the two of you.
Thanks for the kind words and I am glad it brought up some good memories. A 68 Merc is a sweet car. Nice present from a cool Grandfather!! We are looking forward to many more finds and times out exploring.
Children grow up so fast, do everything you can with your son mate. I remember like yesterday my sons first step and that was 44 years ago.
Thanks, I cherish all the times we are together as time does fly and next thing you know, I will be playing with Grand kids!!
Congrats on the finds and the fun time with you son. Those are the "gold" days. Hope you get some more good buddy hunting days to come!
Thank you. I will take this Gold over the shiny one any day! Well, how bout a bit of both... especially if my son found the shiny stuff!

Last edited:

Relicific

Silver Member
Feb 2, 2017
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
X terra 705
Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
That's what it's all about-