What's new

Got a weird one tonight.......

Ifyndit

Sr. Member
Joined
Dec 15, 2007
Messages
255
Reaction score
43
Golden Thread
0
Location
The Pacific Northwest
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Corte's, Golden Sabre II, Minelab X-Terra50
Found this tonight. I've looked at it very closely with a 10x loupe and it looks like the damage was caused during the minting of the coin, not after. What do you all think? If this is a minting error, what type of error is it?

Thanks!
 

Attachments

  • DSC01756.webp
    DSC01756.webp
    30.8 KB · Views: 487
  • DSC01757.webp
    DSC01757.webp
    40.6 KB · Views: 487
  • DSC01758.webp
    DSC01758.webp
    46.5 KB · Views: 489
  • DSC01759.webp
    DSC01759.webp
    44 KB · Views: 488
  • DSC01760.webp
    DSC01760.webp
    41.3 KB · Views: 498
Upvote 0
that's some weird planchet stuff going on there... almost looks like they tried making a half out of an already messed up planchet or something. :P

~Dave
 
Looks like it might be a die crack as it is on both sides - nice one! :thumbsup:

Maine_Jim
 
maine_Jim said:
Looks like it might be a die crack as it is on both sides - nice one! :thumbsup:

Maine_Jim

My original thought was a die crack too but I have never found one before.
 
I'm pretty sure the coin was bent, then straightened.

If it was a problem with the die it would only affect one side of the coin. The obverse and reverse are 2 seperate dies.
 
bmanofnbc said:
I'm pretty sure the coin was bent, then straightened.

If it was a problem with the die it would only affect one side of the coin. The obverse and reverse are 2 seperate dies.

That's what I was thinking. Most likely post-mint damage.
 
I was thinking post mint. Looks like it has been heated in some way.

Golden Silver
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom