Got my fill of wheat but still hungry for silver!!

kleinerschmitter

Aug 21, 2010
Birmingham, AL
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac, Excalibur II, Teknetics G2+
Primary Interest:
Other
Hello all,

Hunted for 3 hours today in Birmingham in an area where there's a dozen city blocks of old WWII houses that were cleared away about a decade ago. All that remains of their presence in the driveways. Today, I found 4, yes 4 wheat spills, three of which had 2 wheats and one had 3. I totaled 13 wheats and a Canadian centennial 1967 penny. Alas, no silver was found, and my totals for this year are horrible silver wise, I've found 49 wheat pennies but only 2 silver coins; neither of which were found at this site. I have found >35 wheats at this place though and I know there's silver there.

On the bright side I found something I've been wanting to find for a long time, it's the triangular piece of copper in the photo. It's a 1919 Dog Tax Birmingham tag!! Besides that found a spill of pre-1972 coins including one clad dime and 10 pennies 1959-1968.

IMG_0626.JPG

Upvote 8
OP
OP
kleinerschmitter

kleinerschmitter

Aug 21, 2010
Birmingham, AL
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac, Excalibur II, Teknetics G2+
Primary Interest:
Other
By the way, I am beyond amazed with my new Etrac; this thing is killer! There's so much iron and trash at this site it's unbelievable! One wheat penny had a nail on top and bottom of it and would only hit 11-29 but it was giving off a sweet sound which is what I've gotta do at this site, I'd say nearly 50% of the coins I dug had trash in the hole with them and I'm sure the sheer volume of trash has kept many hunters away!

against the wind

Gold Member
Jul 27, 2015
Port Allegheny, Pennsylvania
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Excalibur, XP Deus, & CTX 3030.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The Etrac is an incredible machine.
I recovered silver dimes from holes that also had iron nails alongside the silver. I would get a one way 12-45 signal, accompanied by a nice sharp chirp.
Congrats on a nice hunt.

pa-dirt_nc-sand

Silver Member
Apr 18, 2016
South Western PA
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250 with DD coil
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Dog tax license is awesome! Fun find with date and collectible. With so many wheats there has to be some silvers nearby.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread