Got out a little today....................

arizau

Bronze Member
May 2, 2014
AZ
Detector(s) used
Beach High Banker, Sweep Jig, Whippet Dry Washer, Lobo ST, 1/2 width 2 tray Gold Cube, numerous pans, rocker box, and home made fluid bed and stream sluices.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Well it has been a while since I have posted, fact is it has been a while since I moved any sand.... The beaches are still covered with drifts of blond sand covering the good stuff so I won't be doing much till the the black sand get revealed again... And we are getting close to that time of year.
Anyway just thought I would drop in and see what all you big dogs been up to and say howdy..... still alive and kickin.....:laughing7:

Almost time to break out the rain gear and put a chin strap on your hat to weather those stormy beaches. Good gold to you.

Though I found some mostly black sand deposits down at Whaleshead back in July, the concentrates were very poor in gold. Bummer.

Last edited:
OP
OP
johnedoe

johnedoe

Bronze Member
Jan 15, 2012
Oregon Coast
Detector(s) used
White's V3i, White's MXT, and White's Eagle Spectrum
Cleangold sluice & prospectors pan, EZ-Gold Pan, and custom cleanup sluice.
Primary Interest:
Other
Remember this...?... 2015-05-08 12.11.03.jpg

Well this is that creek today......... Went up to look things over and it is gonna take some serious weather and surf to get things back to a workable beach.
2015-09-25 13.36.24.jpg

Here are some pics of the rest of the beach also.
2015-09-25 13.34.02.jpg 2015-09-25 13.40.31.jpg 2015-09-25 13.47.56.jpg

So won't be doing much till the ocean does it's work.

The beach used to look like this..... http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/sluicing/454120-got-out-little-today-5.html#post4470080

With really nice areas of stratification like this.....

2015-03-08 13.41.36.jpg

Oh well, should have put in more time when the conditions were good.... now I just wait for the return of the easier workings.

:dontknow:

Attachments

• 2015-03-08 13.41.36.jpg
    2015-03-08 13.41.36.jpg
    34.5 KB · Views: 453
Last edited:

Oregon Viking

Gold Member
Jan 6, 2014
Brookings-Harbor and Galice Oregon
Detector(s) used
White's prizm IV
Keene A52 with Gold Hog mats
Gold-N-Sand hand dredge
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Remember this...?...

View attachment 1215527

Well this is that creek today......... Went up to look things over and it is gonna take some serious weather and surf to get things back to a workable beach.
View attachment 1215529

Here are some pics of the rest of the beach also.
View attachment 1215530 View attachment 1215531 View attachment 1215532

So won't be doing much till the ocean does it's work.

The beach used to look like this..... http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/sluicing/454120-got-out-little-today-5.html#post4470080

With really nice areas of stratification like this.....

View attachment 1215534

Oh well, should have put in more time when the conditions were good.... now I just wait for the return of the easier workings.

Are you looking for this kinda sand? For a nominal fee I can set you up...:laughing7:

DSCN8141.JPG

DSCN8144.JPG

DSCN8152.JPG

OP
OP
johnedoe

johnedoe

Bronze Member
Jan 15, 2012
Oregon Coast
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Hey OV.... How the heck you been doing?
I still haven't managed to get down your way, no good excuses just always seems to be something comes up and sidetracks me.
Have you been moving any of that whales head sand?
Or any other good ground?
Keep in touch.
W.

OP
OP
johnedoe

johnedoe

Bronze Member
Jan 15, 2012
Oregon Coast
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Well I'm getting ready for some digging pretty soon now. it will still be a bit before all the blond sands are moved but there are areas of what appears to be some fair sand so I will likely go next weekend, maybe tomorrow ... depends on the weather, we are in the fringes of a storm system that just dropped 2 inches of rain in about 20 minutes.... I was in the garage working on a little project.....

I picked up some additional slick plates for the cleangold sluice. My intent is to be able to add a couple different mats in a couple of the sections... one with a section of deep "V" .... one with a section of "Vortex" and of course one just to be able to extend the slick area for a better feed.
Also I can do some mods to change the configuration, Like turn it into a hi-banker when I am in an area that I can use power for pumping water like the Washington beaches.

All total I have 10 feet of sluice if I should want to put it all together for a nice long tom.........
I have to get a liner for the bottom of the long tom to cover the seam to prevent any gold loss there.

2015-10-10 14.49.56.jpg 2015-10-10 14.52.41.jpg 2015-10-10 14.53.13.jpg 2015-10-10 15.12.17.jpg

Last edited:

Reed Lukens

Silver Member
Jan 1, 2013
Congres, AZ/ former California Outlawed Gold Miner
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero, Whites MXT, Vsat, GMT, 5900Di Pro, Minelab GPX 5000, GPXtreme, 2200SD, Excalibur 1000!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I hear ya on the rain. We're in Cape Lookout campground and the swells today were past the beach. Heading to Beverly for a couple days tomorrow, the storm is over but it was fun :evil6:

OP
OP
johnedoe

johnedoe

Bronze Member
Jan 15, 2012
Oregon Coast
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
I hear ya on the rain. We're in Cape Lookout campground and the swells today were past the beach. Heading to Beverly for a couple days tomorrow, the storm is over but it was fun :evil6:
Beverly beach just north of New Port?
Was just up that way friday, went to Lincoln City for some business.
Didn't get a chance to check out Beverly though, to late in the afternoon by the time we were done.
I have heard there are some pretty good sands there though.

OP
OP
johnedoe

johnedoe

Bronze Member
Jan 15, 2012
Oregon Coast
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Yup, on the way right now. Sitting in Cloverdale at the Candelaria's Mexican Restaurant having lunch.
We went up to a little beach not too far north of us and moved a little sand today... While there is black sand showing there was very little color.
But... It was a fantastic day to spend on the beach.

2015-10-11 11.04.40.jpg 2015-10-11 11.04.29.jpg 2015-10-11 11.16.52.jpg 2015-10-11 13.25.51.jpg

Attachments

• 2015-10-11 11.16.30.jpg
    2015-10-11 11.16.30.jpg
    584.7 KB · Views: 127
Last edited:
OP
OP
johnedoe

johnedoe

Bronze Member
Jan 15, 2012
Oregon Coast
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Maybe I ought to try that oleophillic adhesion thing.... I know there is gold in the sands that are extremely fine and possibly finer than 250 mesh... So far what I have recovered is all -100 mesh which is the finest screen I have.
Stake out a bunch of plastic sheets coated with Vaseline and see what happens.

Oregon Viking

Gold Member
Jan 6, 2014
Brookings-Harbor and Galice Oregon
Detector(s) used
White's prizm IV
Keene A52 with Gold Hog mats
Gold-N-Sand hand dredge
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
We are at Cape Blanco space A22 until Sunday, still working our way south. This is a gold, black sand beach :)

Have you been out to the Cape? Checked out the lighthouse? And the wind...:laughing7:
If you can get to the mouth of the Sixes river, that beach has a lot of black sand.:icon_thumright:
Also BLM has a public access spot at the old ghost town of Sixes 10-15 miles upriver. I don't know if it's still open this time of year, salmon you see. You can (used to) even dredge there, great place to sluice/pan.
These are quick reads. Good info.

http://www.blm.gov/or/resources/recreation/files/brochures/EdisonCrkandSixesRiverBrochure.pdf

http://www.oregongold.net/tag/sixes-river/

Last edited:

arizau

Bronze Member
May 2, 2014
AZ
Detector(s) used
Beach High Banker, Sweep Jig, Whippet Dry Washer, Lobo ST, 1/2 width 2 tray Gold Cube, numerous pans, rocker box, and home made fluid bed and stream sluices.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
We are at Cape Blanco space A22 until Sunday, still working our way south. This is a gold, black sand beach :)

There is a road that exits the South end of the campground and at the end is parking area and a steep ramp to the beach. I am not sure if it allowed now but the last time I was there there was a pickup parked at the base of the ramp. There was a placer mine that is basically the left hand side of the ramp against or on the sand cliffs there. I don't know but I suspect that was the reason the ramp was built in the first place. There is a small creek that is mostly seasonal, with the rains, at the base of the ramp. Like OregonViking said the upstream Sixes gold area may be closed to mining now but is is a pretty drive.

Good luck.

Last edited:
OP
OP
johnedoe

johnedoe

Bronze Member
Jan 15, 2012
Oregon Coast
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
There is a road that exits the South end of the campground and at the end is parking area and a steep ramp to the beach. I am not sure if it allowed now but the last time I was there there was a pickup parked at the base of the ramp. There was a placer mine that is basically the left hand side of the ramp against or on the sand cliffs there. I don't know but I suspect that was the reason the ramp was built in the first place. There is a small creek that is mostly seasonal, with the rains, at the base of the ramp. Like OregonViking said the upstream Sixes gold area may be closed to mining now but is is a pretty drive.

Good luck.

Would like to get to that stretch of beach when the creek has enough water in it to run the sluice. That sounds like some interesting sand.
How steep and long is the ramp to the beach?
Looking at google earth it looks like there is beach access there..... definitely need 4x4 though.

Last edited:
OP
OP
johnedoe

johnedoe

Bronze Member
Jan 15, 2012
Oregon Coast
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other

Hey Reed....
You gonna be around Cape Blanco tomorrow?
I'm thinking of heading down there to look some of the area over.
Got most of my chores done so I can justify a little sand time.

Oregon Viking...... what do you say? want to meet up at the cape?

OP
OP
johnedoe

johnedoe

Bronze Member
Jan 15, 2012
Oregon Coast
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Yep, we'll be here all day space A22 ;)

We will try to get down there tomorrow then.
PM me your cell# so I can call when we get there. Or if we won't be able to get there.

arizau

Bronze Member
May 2, 2014
AZ
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Would like to get to that stretch of beach when the creek has enough water in it to run the sluice. That sounds like some interesting sand.
How steep and long is the ramp to the beach?
Looking at google earth it looks like there is beach access there..... definitely need 4x4 though.

As I recall, the ramp is probably between 50 to 100 yards and goes down about 25 or more feet. The mine is not evident but the general coordinates for the mine that I found somewhere jibed with my GPS.

Last edited:
OP
OP
johnedoe

johnedoe

Bronze Member
Jan 15, 2012
Oregon Coast
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
I have found several different coordinates for the mine, depending on where ya look. They are all pretty close but there are discrepancies non the less.
Looks like we will be heading down there today It is a beautiful day and what better to do with it?

Probably take some equipment along just in case.......

OP
OP
johnedoe

johnedoe

Bronze Member
Jan 15, 2012
Oregon Coast
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Well we made it home from the cape.
Had a great visit with Reed and his wife. we went and took a look at the area but did not move any sand, just not enough water in the seasonal creek.

The weather was starting to get a bit less than fun as well, wind was picking up and soaking mist was building.

There were a bunch of what appeared to be geology students on the beach and heading to the north end of the beach from the access road.... They were so cute with their little bags, note books, and rock hammers.......LOL

Saw one vehicle on the beach and was kinda wanting to stay and watch them get back up and off the beach but time didn't allow... It was what appeared to be a 2 wheel drive van......:dontknow: could have been interesting to watch .....:laughing7:

Also there was evidence of someone a little more serious about getting on and down the beach. a pickup with trailer that obviously had a 4 wheeler off-loaded. Reed said he had seen him there the day before and quite a way south...... Beach mining?.... can't say for sure since contact was not made and I wasn't going to wait till he got back to his rig.

All in all a great day even if there was no attempt at getting the gold it was a great exploratory trip and met a couple of really good people.

Drive safe You guys and have fun......:thumbsup:

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread