Got out a little today....................

Cl1983

Feb 24, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I wish i had found this a bit earlier, is there any public areas anyone can point someone to on the beaches of southern oregon? my older kid has been dying to get out gold panning again and figured the beach might be kind of nice, i live in mid humboldt county and need to get up on a day trip to oregon for a few things anyways and was thinking of combining the trips. I know the beaches there can be panned but i have yet to find a location

OP
OP
johnedoe

johnedoe

Bronze Member
Jan 15, 2012
Oregon Coast
Detector(s) used
White's V3i, White's MXT, and White's Eagle Spectrum
Cleangold sluice & prospectors pan, EZ-Gold Pan, and custom cleanup sluice.
Primary Interest:
Other
I wish i had found this a bit earlier, is there any public areas anyone can point someone to on the beaches of southern oregon? my older kid has been dying to get out gold panning again and figured the beach might be kind of nice, i live in mid humboldt county and need to get up on a day trip to oregon for a few things anyways and was thinking of combining the trips. I know the beaches there can be panned but i have yet to find a location

All of the Oregon beaches are public, some are just inaccessible .... You can use pans or sluices but NO motorized equipment from grass line to surf line.
The black sands of the beaches are extremely heavy and hard to deal with, the gold is also extremely fine ... Can you say 100 mesh and smaller... Much smaller, in fact it can take a couple hundred thousand particle to make an ounce. and hard to separate.
Here is a photomicrograph of some beach gold from the Gold Beach area... cleangold photomicrographs Screen Shot 2015-04-03 at 9.31.03 PM.png

Have some fun....Wish ya luck.

Last edited:

GoldpannerDave

Bronze Member
Apr 17, 2014
Colorado Springs, CO
Detector(s) used
Bazooka 48" Miner and 30" Sniper, Le Trap, Wolf Trap, A52, 2" dredge, Miller tables, Blue Bowl, wheel, Falcon MD20, old White's detector
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
OP
OP
johnedoe

johnedoe

Bronze Member
Jan 15, 2012
Oregon Coast
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Here are a few more pics of the beach I am starting on.....Not much to show for gold yet as I haven't moved much sand at this point, but we are getting set up to start very soon. Maybe I will have some nice gold pics for ya .... I'm hoping to anyway.
2015-04-05 11.49.59.jpg 2015-04-05 11.57.22.jpg 2015-04-05 11.30.04.jpg 2015-04-05 11.29.31.jpg 2015-04-05 12.07.47.jpg

Attachments

• 2015-04-05 11.44.53.jpg
    2015-04-05 11.44.53.jpg
    84.3 KB · Views: 178
  • 2015-04-05 11.46.41.jpg
    2015-04-05 11.46.41.jpg
    88 KB · Views: 161
  • 2015-04-05 11.47.41.jpg
    2015-04-05 11.47.41.jpg
    63.2 KB · Views: 172

arizau

Bronze Member
May 2, 2014
AZ
Detector(s) used
Beach High Banker, Sweep Jig, Whippet Dry Washer, Lobo ST, 1/2 width 2 tray Gold Cube, numerous pans, rocker box, and home made fluid bed and stream sluices.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Last edited:
OP
OP
johnedoe

johnedoe

Bronze Member
Jan 15, 2012
Oregon Coast
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Looks promising. Careful while working close to the bluff. A little more info for you if you have not already seen it. http://pubs.usgs.gov/circ/1934/0008/report.pdf

Got it, I don't know that they cover much of the central and northern coast but I will look through it later. .... Thank's
Since we can't dig into the bluff it shouldn't be much of a problem but I do see chunks at the base from time to time.....

Cl1983

Feb 24, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
any suggestions to places not too hard to access in southern oregon towards the coast? Thinking of taking my son out this weekend. He wants to get out and play with the sluice box i got him and was thinking the beach might be a good place to start (plus i need to get some stuff in oregon anyway) i know you can pan the beaches near brookings but can't seem to find much online or even get ahold of anyone in brookings like the mine supply store there.

OP
OP
johnedoe

johnedoe

Bronze Member
Jan 15, 2012
Oregon Coast
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Where will you be coming from?
Just about any accessible beach will do... Just remember you will be dealing with flour gold and a LOT of black sand concentrates.

OP
OP
johnedoe

johnedoe

Bronze Member
Jan 15, 2012
Oregon Coast
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Well I still don't have the miller table built but I used the cleangold cleanup method and a finishing pan to get-er done...
The cons are from this day.... http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/sluicing/454120-got-out-little-today-4.html#post4446737 and this area.... http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/sluicing/454120-got-out-little-today-5.html#post4470080

I was just collecting from several different spots to get a feel for the area and the equipment. Next time I will concentrate on a specific spot and run it till I am tired.

Here is the results of my 4 bucket testing..... This stuff is all smaller than 100 mesh .. I know cause I ran the cons through a 100 mesh screen before cleanup...... Damn fine beach gold..... sorry the resolution isn't better, I took the pic with my cell phone.

2015-04-19 16.53.13.jpg

Last edited:

GoldpannerDave

Bronze Member
Apr 17, 2014
Colorado Springs, CO
Detector(s) used
Bazooka 48" Miner and 30" Sniper, Le Trap, Wolf Trap, A52, 2" dredge, Miller tables, Blue Bowl, wheel, Falcon MD20, old White's detector
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I'm a little leery of the aluminum screen material if the description is what that means. With proper lab procedure use it should still hold up though.

In the other thread, I did try ConceptualizedNetherlandr's excellent suggestion of a magnet and the screens are attracted to the magnet. (Posted for those here that may not have looked at the other thread).

GoldpannerDave

Bronze Member
Apr 17, 2014
Colorado Springs, CO
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Well I still don't have the miller table built but I used the cleangold cleanup method and a finishing pan to get-er done...
The cons are from this day.... http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/sluicing/454120-got-out-little-today-4.html#post4446737 and this area.... http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/sluicing/454120-got-out-little-today-5.html#post4470080

I was just collecting from several different spots to get a feel for the area and the equipment. Next time I will concentrate on a specific spot and run it till I am tired.

Here is the results of my 4 bucket testing..... This stuff is all smaller than 100 mesh .. I know cause I ran the cons through a 100 mesh screen before cleanup...... Damn fine beach gold..... sorry the resolution isn't better, I took the pic with my cell phone.

View attachment 1149246

Wow!! That is fly poop size! Still, it looks very nice.

You need to build that Miller table I would say; given the size of that stuff, it must be difficult to pan.

Thanks for the photo.

OP
OP
johnedoe

johnedoe

Bronze Member
Jan 15, 2012
Oregon Coast
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Actually after using the cleangold cleanup process and the panning techniques in the videos it took very little time and the end results are very clean....
And yes it is fly scat.... all minus 100 mesh and smaller.
I hope to get out Sunday when I get back from conference..... I will be a bit more selective regarding the dig site and concentrate on it this time.... Unlike these results which were a series of digs till the wagon was full.

I will try to get a little better pic of that stuff this evening.

OK, here are a couple pics, still crappy since I took them with my cell through a 10x loupe..
Anyway this is the beach gold I'm catching with my Cleangold sluice.

2015-04-22 17.37.03.jpg 2015-04-22 17.35.40.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
johnedoe

johnedoe

Bronze Member
Jan 15, 2012
Oregon Coast
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Well I went back to the beach today, took a friend along to check it out.... Windy and wet.. And man was I feeling my age today at the end of that little venture...... We spent about 4 hours and moved about 8 buckets of material +/_ a little.

The beach was covered in blond sand from the wind so the and small tides so the results today were less than impressive. About 1 20th the amount of the previous batch.

All those nice thick layers of black sand ..... Buried..... But that is the way it goes on the beach sometimes.

Sorry no pics today........
dontknow.gif

Again the cons were 99% sub 100 mesh....

Last edited:

Oregon Viking

Gold Member
Jan 6, 2014
Brookings-Harbor and Galice Oregon
Detector(s) used
White's prizm IV
Keene A52 with Gold Hog mats
Gold-N-Sand hand dredge
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well I went back to the beach today, took a friend along to check it out.... Windy and wet.. And man was I feeling my age today at the end of that little venture...... We spent about 4 hours and moved about 8 buckets of material +/_ a little.

The beach was covered in blond sand from the wind so the and small tides so the results today were less than impressive. About 1 20th of the previous batch.

All those nice thick layers of black sand ..... Buried..... But that is the way it goes on the beach sometimes.

Sorry no pics today........
dontknow.gif

Again the cons were 99% sub 100 mesh....

Sorry to hear that. You are welcome to some of this...:laughing7:

DSCN8144.JPG

DSCN8152.JPG

OP
OP
johnedoe

johnedoe

Bronze Member
Jan 15, 2012
Oregon Coast
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
LOL.... That's the way it happens on the beach sometimes.... Like I said all the wind and no tides to wash out the blond sands is how it is.... I keep an eye on it till it changes my favor again.

And yes I will be getting down your way before too long.

OP
OP
johnedoe

johnedoe

Bronze Member
Jan 15, 2012
Oregon Coast
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Just got this pic from Bill, the friend that went moving sand with me today.... Yup.. I feel as old as I look, took me quite while to get warmed back up and feeling half way human.... cold, wet, and stove up, the old legs did not like the conditions.
I will get a pic of the results posted in a couple days. But it was nothing like the recovery of several days ago..... just wasn't up to that tonight.
Also I am having a punch plate hopper made for the sluice.... It will be more efficient than the basket.
IMG952015042695122551197.jpg

Last edited:

GoldpannerDave

Bronze Member
Apr 17, 2014
Colorado Springs, CO
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Just got this pic from Bill, the friend that went moving sand with me today.... Yup.. I feel as old as I look, took me quite while to get warmed back up and feeling half way human.... cold, wet, and stove up, the old legs did not like the conditions.
I will get a pic of the results posted in a couple days. But it was nothing like the recovery of several days ago..... just wasn't up to that tonight.
Also I am having a punch plate hopper made for the sluice.... It will be more efficient than the basket.
View attachment 1153015

Hey, I know the feeling. Still, it looks like you got a good flow in the sluice and moving the lighter sands out pretty quickly. That is one rocky beach; looks like French Rivera beaches (no gold there though). Hope the clean up is decent.

I like the idea of a punch plate hopper; I think you are right that will be more effective than the basket. Let us know how it works out.

OP
OP
johnedoe

johnedoe

Bronze Member
Jan 15, 2012
Oregon Coast
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Well here it is...... the results of Sundays exercise in masochism and two cart loads of sand.... Not worth the time and pain.

2015-04-29 17.35.31.jpg 2015-04-29 17.35.01.jpg

Oregon Viking

Gold Member
Jan 6, 2014
Brookings-Harbor and Galice Oregon
Detector(s) used
White's prizm IV
Keene A52 with Gold Hog mats
Gold-N-Sand hand dredge
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
View attachment 1153015

Sittin' down on the job ay?? rofl.gif
I don't need a punch plate/screen for my beaches, everything is the same size.
Well maybe. How big, technically, is a grain of sand? :icon_scratch:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread