Got the Heraldic Eagle Cufflinks Back from Restoration!

paleomaxx

Aug 14, 2016
Upstate, NY
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus XP
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well worth the wait! Some of you may remember me finding and posting about these back in May, but if not they're an incredibly rare set of heraldic eagle cufflinks. There's some controversy over them being George Washington Inauguration related or instead later patriotic themed pieces. In either case these are extremely rare with only a few complete links known to exist! The DeWitt/Sullivan reference book has the following on them:

Untitled.jpg

Out of the ground they were recognizable, but pretty rough so I decided to have them professionally restored. Here's the before:

Cufflinks 1.jpg

And the after!

DSC09525.JPG

Talk about night and day! :hello2: I was over the moon to have found a set at all, but it wasn't much to look at them and the average person I showed them to could only barely make out the eagles. Now they're absolutely stunning and instantly recognizable. These are going to occupy a place of honor among my best relic finds and definitely not something I expect to see under my coil a second time!

DSC09513.JPG DSC09515.JPG

I did quite a bit more detecting of this site as well as book research and while not too many more finds of note turned up I was able to confirm that it was the location of a 1760's schoolhouse. It was actually the oldest schoolhouse in the town and is mentioned in an 1890's history of the area. It seems that one of the children absconded with their father's cufflinks and lost them in the schoolyard. :laughing7: That also explains why so many buttons and little bits, but not much in terms of the typical homestead relics.

DSC09503.JPG DSC09505.JPG DSC09507.JPG

Above are most of the relics and coins recovered to date and the last photo is of a pewter button that's the strangest thing; I have absolutely no idea what that figure is supposed to be! Pretty cool though.

In any case I'm thrilled to have them back and among the other treasures I've so far unearthed!

Restored Cufflinks 2.jpg

Upvote 16

Erik in NJ

Silver Member
Oct 4, 2010
The Garden State
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE Pro & CTX-3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Beautiful job and congrats! Who did the conservation? Thinking about having my latest eagle & shield bridle rosette conserved. Please PM if need be regarding contact info.

That's a Banner find if it hasn't already been up there and a Banner conservation.

Last edited:

fishstick

Silver Member
Oct 28, 2012
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Fisher F5, T2SE, F2 for the boys, XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Absolutely STUNNIN!!!!!!!!!!! Well worth it bud.

OP
OP
P

paleomaxx

Aug 14, 2016
Upstate, NY
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus XP
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Beautiful job and congrats! Who did the conservation? Thinking about having my latest eagle & shield bridle rosette conserved. Please PM if need be regarding contact info.

That's a Banner find if it hasn't already been up there and a Banner conservation.

Thank you! I sent them out to Leonard Short; he's well known and respected in artifact restoration and I've seen quite a few beautiful examples of his work posted on this forum over the years. I'm not bad when it comes to cleaning and conserving my finds, but this was definitely beyond my skill set and when it's something this rare it's worth getting in touch with a professional!

Lost Signal

Mar 5, 2019
Lowcountry SC
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Equinox 600, Garrett 400
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Okay, the cufflinks are amazing, but that weird button is one of the most interesting relics I've seen. What in the world? Or, is it not of this world?

Looks like something you might see as a tribal petroglyph. Fascinating!

Jeff H

Bronze Member
May 5, 2008
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Those came out excellent Max. Just awesome. That pewter button.....never seen anything like it. That is beyond cool. If you do find any info on it, PLEASE repost it with an update.

Wildcat1750

Gold Member
Nov 18, 2012
Western CT
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT PRO/Ace 250w8.5x11" DD Coil/
Garrett Pro-Pointer/Garrett Pro-Pointer AT/
Vibra-Tector 730/
Radio Shack Discovery 1000 (Tracker IV)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Stunning Restoration! :notworthy:
Perhaps the schoolteacher was a man and was wearing the cufflinks?

OP
OP
P

paleomaxx

Aug 14, 2016
Upstate, NY
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus XP
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Stunning Restoration!
Perhaps the schoolteacher was a man and was wearing the cufflinks?

I doubt the schoolteacher as these would have been on the expensive side and probably more of a statement than deemed necessary in a classroom of children. There were quite a few prominent patriots centered around the nearby college. I already have a few known attendees of this school from my research and their fathers were Rev War Colonels, prominent lawyers, and city government officials. All the types that would have proudly worn a patriotic set such as these!

Wildcat1750

Gold Member
Nov 18, 2012
Western CT
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT PRO/Ace 250w8.5x11" DD Coil/
Garrett Pro-Pointer/Garrett Pro-Pointer AT/
Vibra-Tector 730/
Radio Shack Discovery 1000 (Tracker IV)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I doubt the schoolteacher as these would have been on the expensive side and probably more of a statement than deemed necessary in a classroom of children. There were quite a few prominent patriots centered around the nearby college. I already have a few known attendees of this school from my research and their fathers were Rev War Colonels, prominent lawyers, and city government officials. All the types that would have proudly worn a patriotic set such as these!

Yes, that does make more sense...

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread