What's new

Gotta catch em all & First Large Cent

8Reales

Bronze Member
Joined
Dec 16, 2015
Messages
1,876
Reaction score
3,632
Golden Thread
1
Location
Baltimore
🥇 Banner finds
1
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, BH Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Went back to the same area of the park that has produced silver and wheat cents before. It was very slow, very few targets i picked up 2 quarters, 1 nickel, and 1 cent. I get a signal sounded like a quarter a high tone. I cut the plug about 6 inches down, but the target was still in the hole, now I'm thinking may be a lousy deep beer can. I put my digger about another inch and it pops out, this larger dark, crusty unrecognizable coin. I knew it was a coin from the time i picked it up and my first guess was right, its a large cent. I found this out after heavy cleaning, the crust took its toll, i can't see a date, But the wreath on the reverse is unquestionable and I can make out the obverse aswell. Based on the last date for this design, lets just say it was 1857 or before. This would be my oldest coin to date. It sure felt nice to dig a first, and this big copper really got me happy. After this i notice it was almost time to go and I say to myself, just one more plug. I then got this big signal almost a square foot in size and really high tone, Ok I'm thinking a stupid shallow beer can. Just for the record, lets see what it is, I cut the pug, pass the detector over it and it had a target, pass the detector by the hole and there is still a target. So I'm like its not a beer can. Then one by one this Pokemon cards start my making their escape from the nearly frozen ground. In the end i felt like a Pokemon master, with Pikachu, Mewtwo & Jigglypuff under my belt, Yes i know their names I used to watched Pokemon, I'm not that old.
 

Attachments

  • CIMG2168.webp
    CIMG2168.webp
    307 KB · Views: 163
  • CIMG2169.webp
    CIMG2169.webp
    101.8 KB · Views: 162
  • CIMG2171.webp
    CIMG2171.webp
    150.5 KB · Views: 155
Upvote 24
Congrats on the LC. :occasion14:
 
Any large cent is a fun find. As far as the dates it's nice to know but still a great find.
 
Super find. Congrats on your oldest coin!
 
If I recall, Mewtwo became Meowth with enough power...
Meowth was my favorite, I totally related to him.

Went out at night, and searched for round, shiney objects!:laughing7:

My kids were children of the 90's, I spent a fortune looking for a Charizard.
 
Congratulations finding your first large cent, they are a real treat to find. Score on the silver ingot's!-HH
 
The large cent is great but the Pokemon cards made me smile. My Son loved them. I too remember going with him as he looked for different cards. I found a Pikachu coin in our back yard this year...so I know where that came from :)
 
PIKACHU AND A MAGNIFIER TOOOO .. PRICELESS.
 
IMG_20160114_211549684.webp

Thanx everyone for commenting, I just cleaned the cent a bit more with brasso, i got to the point of seeing " Liberty " complete, but still no date, I think
cleaning beyond this point might do more harm than good. I will just leave as it is.
 
Last edited:
Nice Large cent! This variety dates from 1816-1839!
 
Nice Large cent! This variety dates from 1816-1839!

Unbelievable, so u could say the coin is 1839 or older, thanks for info señor.
 
View attachment 1260298

Thanx everyone for commenting, I just cleaned the cent a bit more with brasso, i got to the point of seeing " Liberty " complete, but still no date, I think
cleaning beyond this point might do more harm than good. I will just leave as it is.
good call!The bust turned out nice.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom