Greenie
Feb 8, 2013
GA and CO
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Minelab Gold Monster 1000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
How good is the GPX5000 for relic hunting? coins/jewelry at sea shore? Is it too complex for targets that maybe the Garrett AT Pro would be great at? Would I still need a deep PI detector? Yeah, I know the 5000 is a PI detector, but ...

I have a chance to get a used GPX5000 at a great price, so I wonder ... since I am a novice for sure! What coils would I need to cover the more typical hunting grounds and targets?

Thanks, Billy

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You don't want to use a GPX 5000 at the beach. Det a Whites Dual Field or a Tesoro Sand Shark if you want to use a PI at the beach. The GPX 5000 is too heavy and too sensitive - not to mention to expensive to risk near the saltwater.

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have heard of people using it for both beach and relics and doing very well with it, although I agree with Terry that I wouldn't want to risk a $5000 detector in even ankle deep water.

Mach1Pilot

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2008
Bedford County, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab, Fisher, Teknetics and more!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The GPX 5000 is one awesome relic hunting machine! It's my favorite in a lot of areas, but it has its limitations. Like Jason said, it can be used on the beach quite successfully but I'm really not sure I would want mine near salt water. It can be susceptible to EMI, and if there is a heavy iron patch you would possibly be better served with a VLF discriminating machine unless you have a LOT of paitence.

On the subject of discrimination, these machines are limited in that regard... it will only tell you if its iron, or non-iron. What that means is all of those pop tabs, aluminum pieces, bottle caps and whatever non-iron items you find on the beach will sound as good as coins and jewelery.

But - if you are in the wide open spaces relic hunting where any non-iron target is desired, the GPX 5000 has no equal - especially in mineralized soils. Just ask any Civil War relic hunter in the northern Virginia area.... :)

Hope that helps. :)

OP
OP
G

GrievousAngel

Greenie
Feb 8, 2013
GA and CO
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I assume the GPX 4800 and the 5000 both work equally well with non-gold items, such as relics, coins, jewelry, correct?

Also, it seems I should get a beach detector for salt water hunting and for some heavy iron laden soils ... so it leads me to ask this - What would the best detectors to add to the GPX 5000? I like the Whites Dual PI (Beach) and the Garrett 2500 or the Minelab E-Trac (good VLF in iron laden soils) for the other two detectors, but that adds up to many dollars!

This is a hard decision, I don't want to miss the deal on the GPX 5000, but it looks like would need anther detector to cover what I want to do. Suggestions needed please ...

Thanks, Billy

locater

Aug 13, 2013
Great Lakes State
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030, Whites GMT, BH Platinum w/ Fisher F5, 11" DD coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't know anything about the GPX 5000, but, I have heard that is the model that has been widely counterfeited. If the deal sounds too good to be true, it may be. Go to the Minelab website and check out their measures to check a machine for authenticity. It could be well worth the effort. Good luck.

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro- 8.5x11, 5x8, CORS Fotune 5.5x9.5
Tesoro Silver microMax- 8 donut, 8x11 RSD, 3x18 Cleansweep
Minelab Excalibur ll- 10" Tornado
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I assume the GPX 4800 and the 5000 both work equally well with non-gold items, such as relics, coins, jewelry, correct?

Also, it seems I should get a beach detector for salt water hunting and for some heavy iron laden soils ... so it leads me to ask this - What would the best detectors to add to the GPX 5000? I like the Whites Dual PI (Beach) and the Garrett 2500 or the Minelab E-Trac (good VLF in iron laden soils) for the other two detectors, but that adds up to many dollars!

This is a hard decision, I don't want to miss the deal on the GPX 5000, but it looks like would need anther detector to cover what I want to do. Suggestions needed please ...

Thanks, Billy

Excalibur for beach, unless you want dig everything from screwcaps, nails, bobby pins, specs of rust, etc, etc, etc. (pulltabs are a given if you want gold) Save your energy for goodies! The Etrac for land is hard to beat and many use it on beaches with great success. Good luck in your decision.

Last edited:

Mach1Pilot

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2008
Bedford County, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab, Fisher, Teknetics and more!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi Billy,

You are correct in regards to the GPX 4800 and GPX 5000 being equal performers on non-gold items. Minelab designed the GPX 4800 to be a cheaper option than the GPX 5000 for the relic hunting crowd.

There are quite a few options in terms of land and water VLF machines... any of the ones you and the other guys have mentioned would be good options. One that hasn't been mentioned is the CTX 3030, a top notch machine which can be used on land and in the water. That might cover all of your needs. And if you are considering a GPX 5000, I'm guessing that it might not be out of your price range. :)

And I'll reiterate the notion you should be careful selecting a seller, because there are plenty of counterfeits out there. I'd hate to see you burned with a bad machine.

OP
OP
G

GrievousAngel

Greenie
Feb 8, 2013
GA and CO
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm curious now ... now bad are the counterfeits? I would assume that some are OK and others are not near as good! I would also bet that the higher-eend ddetectors like the GPX4800 or the 500 are more difficult to copy than say a Infinium ... would you agree?

Billy

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
how bad are counterfeit GPX detectors? They are absolute garbage!

Bart@Big Boys Hobbies

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Jul 24, 2005
Moore Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Call for your Treasurenet special discount! Be sure to mention Tnet when you call!
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
how bad are counterfeit GPX detectors? They are absolute garbage!

The look like they are suppose to but often wont even come on.

The fake pro pointer on the other hand looks identical. Even somewhat works till you compare it to the real thing.

Bart@Big Boys Hobbies

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Jul 24, 2005
Moore Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Call for your Treasurenet special discount! Be sure to mention Tnet when you call!
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
How good is the GPX5000 for relic hunting? coins/jewelry at sea shore? Is it too complex for targets that maybe the Garrett AT Pro would be great at? Would I still need a deep PI detector? Yeah, I know the 5000 is a PI detector, but ...

I have a chance to get a used GPX5000 at a great price, so I wonder ... since I am a novice for sure! What coils would I need to cover the more typical hunting grounds and targets?

Thanks, Billy

I would stick with a AT Pro around water or a true water machine. Real easy to make it a paper weight with a drop.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Excalibur for beach, unless you want dig everything from screwcaps, nails, bobby pins, specs of rust, etc, etc, etc. (pulltabs are a given if you want gold) Save your energy for goodies! The Etrac for land is hard to beat and many use it on beaches with great success. Good luck in your decision.
X2!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread