Grandfather/Great Grandfathers House Finds

MayberryMonte

Sep 12, 2008
Soddy Daisy, TN.
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
I've been meaning to detect my grandfathers old house which sits on the same site as my greatgrandfathers. Total property area abourt.75 acre. This morning I obtained permission from the current absentee owner who has the house up for sale. My grandfather was a jack of all trades who worked until he was in his 50's as a pattern maker at a foundry. When it went under, he became a home builder and Mr. Fix-it. He was an avid fisherman who carved his own lures and poured his own sinkers. He kept a woodshop in his garage and was always making something. He like to collect things like coins,arrowheads, anything old. He and my grandmother had a huge old pickel jar full of wheat pennies and another full of indian heads. I don't remember much about my great grandfather other than he like to take naps in his hammock under the oak trees. I figure some coins must have fell out of his pocket from time to time while he slept. When I arrived, I didn't know where to start so I just hunted the yard at random. I did hunt the parking area at the rear of the house and the place where visitors sat outside during good weather. I also hunted the site of his garage/workshop which has been torn down. For the most part, I found lots of nails, screws, bolts, etc.. and other assorted trash. I found a keyhole for a piece of furnature and a pocket spill in the side yard. The spill was about 5" deep, covered an area of about a foot square, but contained only pennies(no wheats), the oldest being 1960. All-in-all, I found a total of .27 . I didn't find much but it brought back a lot of good memories and peace of mind.I plan to go back when I have more time

Attachments

• Bufords MD FINDS 003.JPG
    Bufords MD FINDS 003.JPG
    91.2 KB · Views: 581
  • Bufords MD FINDS 002.JPG
    Bufords MD FINDS 002.JPG
    54.4 KB · Views: 571
Upvote 0

49er

Bronze Member
Feb 21, 2005
Sun City, Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites..MXT..GMT
Sounds like a blast from the past hunt.

Attachments

• tn_27_jpg.jpg
    tn_27_jpg.jpg
    850 bytes · Views: 507
  • tn_27_jpg.jpg
    tn_27_jpg.jpg
    850 bytes · Views: 508

terpfan

Bronze Member
Oct 31, 2007
Maryland/ NC
Detector(s) used
White's Matrix M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sounds like a great site to hunt. I'd recommend that you be patient and try to clear out an area before moving on. Its surprising how much you can find. Besides, anything you find could become a cherished family heirloom to be saved for future generations. I recently hunted a home that a friend's family had owned for over 100 years. I found many items that were quite meaningful to the family, like horseshoes, harmonica reeds, a cookie cutter, and even a lost medal from a WW2 vet in the family. It was a thrill to give these items back to the family who had lost them over a long period of time. I still hunt the site, and the family is always exciting to see what I find! Good luck.

kdismuke1

Silver Member
Jun 14, 2007
georgia
Detector(s) used
garrett 1500-ace 250-garrett ads groudhog deepseeker
SUPER FINDS. KEPT LOOKING YOU WILL FIND MORE. :thumbsup:

Bavaria Mike

Gold Member
Feb 7, 2005
Bavaria Germany
Detector(s) used
Minelab XT70, Fisher 1280, Garrett Ace 250 and MH5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice sentimental site you have! Find the sunny side of the house where a clothes line would have been and any walk ways or entrances to the house should be good. Had to be a few privies, worth digging if you can. HH and good luck, Mike

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread