What's new

Gravers and lancets worth anything?

RedBeardsRevenge

Tenderfoot
Joined
Nov 26, 2018
Messages
2
Reaction score
4
Golden Thread
0
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I find a ton of big and small chips that look like what the overstreet guide calls lancets or gravers. I'm just not sure how to classify an actual graver, gouge, or lancet from an ordinary flint chip. Obviously if it's been micro flaked it was a tool but the book shows pieces that just look like sharp unworked chips. And my big question is are they really worth anything and is there a collectors market for these type pieces? Thank y'all
 
Upvote 0
Welcome to tnet from Niagara Falls
 
I think they are more valuable if it is a personal find. I look at the ones I have as another piece of the toolkit that they had so it adds value to the collection that way. I doubt you would make any money off selling them to other collectors though.
 
I have a couple of Gravers I keep but was told most dont keep them. Lets see what you are talking about with a picture.
 
These are all Flake Tools from one site. This is just the best ones. I have a lot of these. They really aren't worth much monetarily, but their value as showing that they must have used these everyday for there to be so many gives me a vision of the site.

Thelast picture is a typical few hour hunt on this site. Every flake has been worked somewhere.
 

Attachments

  • image.webp
    image.webp
    521.1 KB · Views: 136
  • image.webp
    image.webp
    441.6 KB · Views: 119
  • image.webp
    image.webp
    227.5 KB · Views: 96
  • image.webp
    image.webp
    467 KB · Views: 106
Could one of you knowledgeable gents stick a link in here where I could learn more about these gravers and lancets?
 
I know one of the guys who helped write the latest (15th edition) Overstreet's Guide if you want his email address.
He's the curator of the Museum of Native American History in Bentonville, AR and is a wealth of knowledge when it comes to NA artifacts.
 
Is that place worth a visit? I’ve lived up here for 6 years now and never been. Lived right down the road from it actually. They have a featured article in last years overstreet.
 
Is that place worth a visit? I’ve lived up here for 6 years now and never been. Lived right down the road from it actually. They have a featured article in last years overstreet.

I have never been but I hear it is an amazing museum. The curator, Matt Rowe, is one the most knowledgeable people I have even encountered when it comes to artifacts. It would be worth your while to go.
 
Is that place worth a visit? I’ve lived up here for 6 years now and never been. Lived right down the road from it actually. They have a featured article in last years overstreet.

If you like Quilting and Japanese architecture, then no it wouldn't be the museum for you. But if you like archaeology, artifacts, ancient history, and some of the best paleo, archaic, woodland and mississippian eye-candy, then YES it's worth a visit.
 
Is that place worth a visit? I’ve lived up here for 6 years now and never been. Lived right down the road from it actually. They have a featured article in last years overstreet.

20180814_140937.webp
20180814_141126.webp
20180814_141145.webp
And that's just a few
 
Looks like an awesome place would love to visit if I’m ever out that way
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom