What's new

GREAT AFTERNOON... PISTOL, BOWIE KNIFE AND BULLETS. NEED HELP!!!

  • Thread starter Thread starter lovedigging
  • Start date Start date
L

lovedigging

Guest
I left work this evening about 5:00 and started my hour drive home. Five minutes up the road I was passing a place I just got to relic hunt and when I was going by something told me to go back. I'm glad I did... My brother is in Florida right now trying out his new Excalibur II and had called me this morning letting me know he had posted a couple things he found on his first hunt with his new machine. All day I thought about this and wished I was there so I did the next best thing. The first thing I found was a bullet I haven't dug before, I beleave it's a 54 sharps Ringtail. If anyone can help me with this I'd appreciate it. ??? Next I dug two 69 bullets in the same hole and only a few yards away I dug the bowie knife. I could use some help on this also. It's 16" long and the blade is 11.5" On the way back to my truck I dug a couple more bullets and then I was almost to my truck when I found the pistol. I really need help with this, Is it Civil war or did someone shoot someone years ago and toss it out their window on their way down the road? I was pretty close to the highway when I found it :icon_scratch: :icon_scratch: :icon_scratch: Anyway, Enjoy the pictures and I hope some of my TN buddies can help me out...
 

Attachments

  • r1.webp
    r1.webp
    17.1 KB · Views: 1,362
  • r2.webp
    r2.webp
    9.6 KB · Views: 1,343
  • r3.webp
    r3.webp
    34.1 KB · Views: 1,365
  • r4.webp
    r4.webp
    16.7 KB · Views: 1,355
  • r5.webp
    r5.webp
    10.3 KB · Views: 1,350
Upvote 0
Definitely not a Garand bayonet. What caught my eye is the retention button on the rear of the handle is exactly like the one on my Yugoslavian K98 Mauser bayonet. The hand guard is slightly different, but many clones of the K98 Mauser and it's bayonet were made. Definitely Mauser though. ;D
 
Nice ringers, tell us a little more about the area you hunted not the location but in general what it is or was, farm fields, fair grounds battle site area, you seem to have a wide mixture of dates there from cw to modern so I am curious on how the land has changed over the years. You also gotta go back and hunt some more, smaller sections and slower and if you dig the faint signals you might find the coins.
 
Tcooper, can you make out any markings at the base of the blade on your bayonet?
 
txkickergirl said:
Nice ringers, tell us a little more about the area you hunted not the location but in general what it is or was, farm fields, fair grounds battle site area, you seem to have a wide mixture of dates there from cw to modern so I am curious on how the land has changed over the years. You also gotta go back and hunt some more, smaller sections and slower and if you dig the faint signals you might find the coins.
Txkickergirl, Thanks for your email and WOW... What a cutie ;D Let me know if you want to come digging in Va :wink: All jokes aside, I was hunting a corn field that is next to a battlefield. Over the years they ran a four lane highway next to it. It was my first time at this spot and I dug lots of trash especially beer cans. I literally filled my pack with them. The pistol was right next to the road so I figured it was tossed at some point. I hope to get back there soon but the corn made for a tough hunt. Thanks again for your reply...
 
NHbenz said:
Tcooper, can you make out any markings at the base of the blade on your bayonet?
NHBENZ, Thanks for your reply and everyone elses. I'm glad to know I have a bayonet and not a bowie. I cleaned it a little this evening but still can't make out any writing on it at all, SORRY...
 
sounds as if you will be busy for a while on that spot, and with it probably remaining fields you should turn up some great finds. Every time it rains or the farmer turns it would be great to detect.

You may want to check with the local police about the gun recovered. It might solve a case....although that gun looks old, who ever used it is probably dead themeselves now. My hubby watches lots of cop shows and unsolved murder shows...hum....maybe I should worry about that. Just kidding.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom