PullTabPete

Jun 14, 2012
Michigan
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Excal II E-trac EQ 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I had a day off today so I decided to do two of my favorite activities- bike riding and detecting.

I haven't had much time to detect this year and wanted to get in a few more swings before the ground freezes. I headed to a small mid-Michigan town founded in the 1830's that has an old railroad track converted to bike path/horse trail. I parked where the old train depot would have been and decided to search there. There wasn't a lot of grassy areas and after about 15 minutes, I was thinking to go ride, I found a few clad coins and some miscellaneous metal junk, then in the grassy strip between the sidewalk and road I found a 2007 clad dime, I swept the hole again and received a 01-44 signal on the E-trac that I figured was probably an old flattened metal screw top. I decided to dig anyway and only about 3 inches down found this 1852 Upper Canada Penny. At first I thought it was some chuckie cheese or a shell gas token and looked again and I couldn't believe it. The thing was almost right next to the clad dime.
1852_front_small.jpg 1852_back_small.jpg

I searched another hour and only found some clad and then went for a nice ride.

The token looks in great shape, I am going to soak in some water and see if I can get some of the dirt off, otherwise I'll leave it alone.

Love this hobby, never know what you will find.

Anyways a great day - actually a great week because 2 days earlier I got my first hat trick in 9 years of beer league hockey. Must be living right!

Bike Path
bike_path.jpg

HH Everyone,

Pete

Upvote 0

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Congrats on that pulling that Token, I pulled one about a month ago. Your's makes the 3rd I have seen in the past month and a half. They aren't worth much, maybe $3, but it sure was nice seeing it pop out of the hole.

OP
OP
PullTabPete

PullTabPete

Jun 14, 2012
Michigan
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Excal II E-trac EQ 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks Loco

Like I said originally I thought it was a modern token, so only after a minute or so did realize what it was. Definitely made my day. I am going to head back to that town tomorrow AM - if I get up early enough. There is an older school yard there I want to check out.

Did you find the penny or half-penny?. Mine is the penny, I soaked it in water overnight and not much came off it, so I decided to tumble it in some sand since it isn't that valuable, I would never be selling it anyways. How far down was yours mine was only 2-3 inches at most.

Pete

RobRieman

Silver Member
Nov 12, 2012
Cincinnati Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's V3i / Minelab E-trac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1445720271.287048.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1445720294.733571.jpg
I found an 1857 in a park about 6" deep in clay but it's pretty roached.

OP
OP
PullTabPete

PullTabPete

Jun 14, 2012
Michigan
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Excal II E-trac EQ 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
View attachment 1226962 View attachment 1226963
I found an 1857 in a park about 6" deep in clay but it's pretty roached.

Hi Rob,

That is pretty roached, did you use electrolysis on that? I have been tumbling mine in sand for about week now and it is cleaning up pretty nice. There is a lot of detail left on it.

1852_front_tumble_small.jpg 1852_back_tumble_small.jpg

If I get up early enough I am going to try to hit that area again tomorrow.

HH,

Pete

RobRieman

Silver Member
Nov 12, 2012
Cincinnati Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's V3i / Minelab E-trac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hi Rob,

That is pretty roached, did you use electrolysis on that? I have been tumbling mine in sand for about week now and it is cleaning up pretty nice. There is a lot of detail left on it.

View attachment 1229717 View attachment 1229718

If I get up early enough I am going to try to hit that area again tomorrow.

HH,

Pete

No, that's the way it came out of the hole. I soaked it in olive oil but it is too fried.
Yours looks great!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread