Great Kentucky Hoard

LUE-Hawn

Feb 16, 2018
United States
Detector(s) used
Minelab SDC 2300, Makro Deephunter Pro 3D, OKM EXP 4500 Pro, Garrett Hand Held Detectors, Falcon MD 20, English dowsing springs, Darley Spanish Dip Needle, L-Rods, what’s left of my brain :o)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yikes, incredible! I love it. Thanks for sharing. I hope he owned the property it sat on if not prepare for an ongoing legal battle.

Regards

LUE-Hawn

fishstick

Silver Member
Oct 28, 2012
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Fisher F5, T2SE, F2 for the boys, XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There's not been many finds that can be compared to this ever in the states. Would be hard to split up but I understand why some would want to. If it was MY find, my kids would have to be starving to sell.

Ryano

Feb 16, 2014
St. Augustine, FL
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
What's the story on these? I've seen rumors attributing them to Jesse James Gang but I doubt Jesse or his boys would've just left all that gold in the ground.

fishstick

Silver Member
Oct 28, 2012
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Fisher F5, T2SE, F2 for the boys, XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What's the story on these? I've seen rumors attributing them to Jesse James Gang but I doubt Jesse or his boys would've just left all that gold in the ground.
DEF would be interesting to know whatever the story is!!!!

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This guy is high on something... or living in an imaginary world.
There is nothing that can be learned from these.
The only motive I see is that he would get the opportunity to be in the middle of it all and later the bragging / story telling to colleagues.
Truly sad that people buy into this BS malarkey when they spout it and even agree to a degree that has put forth many current regulations concerning such finds.

So... without further adu... I quote... the quote... heh

"Most concentrations of historical artifacts found on private land end up going to market or being collected without archaeological consultation, according to McNutt. "As a conflict archaeologist, I find this loss of information particularly frustrating," he said. Hoards have an incredible amount of information about the person who collected the objects, offering archaeologists insight into a brief window in time.

Historical finds like these on private land in the U.S. do not need to be reported to an archaeologist. But McNutt, who has developed close relationships with landowners, believes that education and outreach are key to learning more about these rare coin caches.

"It is entirely up to the landowner," McNutt said, but not engaging with an archaeologist means "it's a snapshot of the past, lost forever."

Last edited:

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wait... I forgot the best part... lol

"Hoards have an incredible amount of information about the person who collected the objects"

This is absolutely the biggest amount of BS... and THEN people actually believe them... :/
Not one hoard /cache has been able to be positively ID'd or has been directly defined as to who, what, where OR why... you would think this would be "common sense" by now.
Only theories exist in the end of all the BS guessing..

The only cache or hoard that can be defined is one that has the story LEADING into it AND OR a map or something that absolutely defines its location.
PERIOD.
Until that... you will only EVER guess and speculate.

Could have been any of our relatives that could have buried that.
SO.... let the finder be... and shut up about "historical significance".
Hope the person sells them all for record breaking prices.
sheesh.

And if you want to study one... or all of them.... BUY THEM !
Then you can drool and study all ya want.

Last edited:

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just to make opinion(s) clear...
IF I ever found a hoard like this or anything like this for that matter...
I for one WOULD allow Archie's to study and document the hoard for a short period of time.
Right before i sent it to NGC for slabbing.
Then i would allow them to further study etc it in detail after that beings they could then be handled not just with gloves etc.
AND...
Right before some went to Heritage Auction...
and would tell them to bid on the ones they liked best.

Venting aside... This would not even be the discussion if the U.S. would finally grow a brain and adopt the U.K's stance / policy on such finds.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread