What's new

Great Nickel Hunting

engine 823

Sr. Member
Joined
Dec 27, 2007
Messages
312
Reaction score
5
Golden Thread
0
Location
Waynesburg, KY
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT, ACE 150
;D :icon_thumright:
Well i was off work for a few days and I decided to hunt a box of nickels each day I was off. Compared to some post on here this will not be unreal but I had a blast :headbang:
I found a total of 184 - Pre-1960 Nickels and 4 - 1943 P War nickels. Also over those four days I managed to pick up 2 - 40% Halves from a bank near me. I had one SUPER Nickel Box though and I will give the totals for it

1938 x 3, 1939 x 16, 1940 x 17, 1941 x 20, 1942 x 7, 1943 P x 3, 1946 x 9, 1947 x 9, 1948 x 5, 1949 x 2, 1952 x 6, 1953 x 3, 1954 x 7, 1955 x 3, 1956 x 1, 1957 x 4, 1958 x 3, 1959 x 3,
TOTAL OF 118 Pre - 1960 AND 3 WAR NICKELS

CANADIAN NICKELS
1940 x 1, 1941 x 1, 1945 x 1 ( Victory Nickel ), 1947 x 1, 1959 x 4, 1960 x 2, 1961 x 9, 1962 x 3, 1963 x 1, 1964 x 1, 1987 x 1, 1998 x 1

I WAS REALLY IMPRESSED WITH THE CANADIAN WAR NICKEL I LIKED THE LOOKS OF IT :hello2:
 
Upvote 0
looks like really good numbers, i'd be happy getting half that each time i got nickels
 
Not unless I don't know where to look. There was nothing under the dates like newer nickles
 
On -64 and older nickels the mint mark will be on the reverse of the coin at the lower right-hand side (as the holder looks at the coin).

Semi-key dates for the series are:
1938-D
1938-S
1939-D
1939-S

Some consider the 1942 non-silver alloy to also be a semi-key as not many (compared to the silver alloy 42's) were minted.

The Key date for the series is:
1950-D

The mint mark for the war time silver alloy nickels will be on the reverse as a large P, D, or S above Monticello.
 
:icon_thumright:
Thanks I didn't know that. I had not started searching nickels alot until lately. I will have to look closer when I get home tomorrow. Thanks
Will post if I have any of the semi-key dates. Are those more valuable?? Also on the 1942 non silver, Would it have the p,d,s over the monticello if it were silver?? I know I found some of those 1942 without the letter over the building. Thanks guys!
 
yes, the silvers have the large mint mark. If there is not one it is the normal composition.
 
Well I searched for those semi key mint marks on the 1938 and 1939 nickels but there was not one. I assume that if there was not a mint mark on them at all it was minted where??
 
engine 823 said:
Well I searched for those semi key mint marks on the 1938 and 1939 nickels but there was not one. I assume that if there was not a mint mark on them at all it was minted where??

Philadelphia
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom