tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just went up to one of the thrift shops for the Saturday 50% off sales. This little piece caught my eye and it was marked $8.99. The tag color it was is one that would be sold at half price, which brought it down to $4.50, plus a little tax. It's a very well made piece and signed KABANA .925 It's a clownfish with orange enameling. I thought surly I'll find some info and I was surprised to see it's made in Albuquerque, New Mexico by a fella named Stavros Eleftheriou. I also found a video where Stavros tells how he left Greece to tour the US and how it was he became a pretty accomplished jewelrer here in America it seems.

Attachments

• 20230225_142402.jpg
    20230225_142402.jpg
    694.8 KB · Views: 47
  • 20230225_142433.jpg
    20230225_142433.jpg
    379 KB · Views: 42

HistoryTeacher

Mar 9, 2017
North Georgia
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 400
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's a great pick-up. Thanks for sharing the video--I will look out for his pieces. He looks like he would be fun to talk to. I think your piece might be inlaid with Orange Spiny Oyster as opposed to enameled.

OP
OP
tamrock

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's a great pick-up. Thanks for sharing the video--I will look out for his pieces. He looks like he would be fun to talk to. I think your piece might be inlaid with Orange Spiny Oyster as opposed to enameled.
Really, It is translucent and that's why I was thinking enameling. Yes that Stavros fella has quite an interesting story. Sounds like he became interested in Native American silversmithing and that ended up into a wonderful career in the business. I can't recall ever hearing about his line of jewelry. I am going to be making somewhat regular trips to Carlsbad, NM and maybe I'll stop by his factory.

Red-Coat

Gold Member
Dec 23, 2019
Surrey, UK
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Really, It is translucent and that's why I was thinking enameling. Yes that Stavros fella has quite an interesting story. Sounds like he became interested in Native American silversmithing and that ended up into a wonderful career in the business. I can't recall ever hearing about his line of jewelry. I am going to be making somewhat regular trips to Carlsbad, NM and maybe I'll stop by his factory.

Nice workmanship on his pieces. He does use orange spiny oyster for some of his pieces but the clownfish design shown as earrings on his website specifically says that they're enamelled. He doesn't currently offer that design as a necklace pendant.

OP
OP
tamrock

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice workmanship on his pieces. He does use orange spiny oyster for some of his pieces but the clownfish design shown as earrings on his website specifically says that they're enamelled. He doesn't currently offer that design as a necklace pendant.

I've yet to find a pendant like what I have online for sale, other than I saw one on eBay that has an added bail, unlike what is on the one I have and it made me suspicious that the seller had converted a single clownfish earring into a pendant or it was simply another option in this design.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread