What's new

Greenish tail

buzzgator

Sr. Member
Joined
Nov 15, 2006
Messages
375
Reaction score
18
Golden Thread
0
Detector(s) used
Nautilus DMC-IIBa/Tesoro Cibola
Is there a certain type of meteor that leaves a green tail? My son and I were fishing and one fell close by that lit up the sky green for a second or two as it streaked by.
 
I saw two shooting stars last April that burned green. The first one burned for at least three seconds. It was a little startling. All the other ones that I've seen before these were gone in a flash.
 
I think copper burns green, so it may have contained that element
 
Willie, same here. I have seen untold numbers of shooting stars but this was low fast and very bright! It lit the sky up like it was daylight at 3:00am. It had a very distinct green glow to it.
 
The atmosphere has a lot of affect on colors. The mountain about 10 miles from me changes to pink most nights then to a deep purple. It's called Sandia mountain that means watermelon in Spanish.
Same way some sunsets glow red or other colors and others don't or the different ways the moon can appear.
I guess I'd be more likely to think atmosphere. Maybe there's an astrophysicist around here somewhere.
 
Copper,we had one go across north end of escambia county fl landed in oklahoma.anyway it was filmed and scentist said it contained copper.
 
Oh i have one from my wittness fall that is half copper.
 
Sorry not copper but likely nickel

What you are seeing are high nickel/iron meteors.

They also tend to burn longer.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom