RiverRat3

Bronze Member
Apr 1, 2009
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX3030
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Found this while walking with my son. I have found points and tools before by accident but this caught my eye. Thanks for looking. ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1486525227.138760.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1486525239.020353.jpg

Upvote 0

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
Now THAT is neat!! Was it found near a waterfall by chance? Or even a steep hillside?

OP
OP
RiverRat3

RiverRat3

Bronze Member
Apr 1, 2009
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX3030
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
It was found next to a dead tree. The area it was found was a farm at one time but houses have been constructed on the land. No streams or steep hillside. A stream is within a half mile. Thanks for looking.

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
The more I look at it, the more I'm convinced it wasn't made by water action. As for who made it and why, I haven't a clue! ...Maybe some other folks will chime in on this today.

I hazard to guess anything, as I'm so consistently wrong - and I don't wanna be wrong on this one! :tongue3:

...One more question - what's the size? I'd guess the long direction of the rock is about 6" to 8"? ...Which would make the larger hole 3" to 4"? Could you add one more photo with a coin sitting inside please?

Rege-PA

Jul 13, 2007
Interesting but a natural concretion where a harder piece of the sand stone fell out when it fractured. Freezing and thawing frequently cause this, if you can find grinding striations in the bottom it could have been used as some type of mortar but from your picture none are evident. Mortars are frequently shaped with no sharp edges since these items were used daily and exhibit a high degree of external shaping with extreme grinding in the center. I`m sure many collectors on this forum have great examples to show you. Keep looking any rock with a hole is interesting.

OP
OP
RiverRat3

RiverRat3

Bronze Member
Apr 1, 2009
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX3030
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Thanks for your input. It was worth checking out. I'm going to take it back and put it back where I found it.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread