Grizzly Angle

goldog

Sep 25, 2012
Tujunga, CA
Detector(s) used
Bazooka Gold Trap, A-51, Gold Pan
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
The one that works. Not just being flippant but it would depend...

OP
OP
fowledup

fowledup

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2013
Northern California
Detector(s) used
Whites GMT V/SAT
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
The one that works. Not just being flippant but it would depend...

Thanks for responding, I should've been more specific so I'll rephrase a bit. What are keene and proline using as a factory setting on their grizzly. I'm making an adjustable grizzly on my fluidbed high banker and need a good starting point for the middle position.

My bad, just realized I posted this under sluicing, I'll post another under dredging and high banking if the mods would be so kind to erase this one for me.

Last edited:

arizau

Bronze Member
May 2, 2014
AZ
Detector(s) used
Beach High Banker, Sweep Jig, Whippet Dry Washer, Lobo ST, 1/2 width 2 tray Gold Cube, numerous pans, rocker box, and home made fluid bed and stream sluices.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
No help here as far as angle but logic tells me this.... Gravels from an active stream source are already pre-washed and require little retention time on the grizzly and still allow the passage of the right sized material through it. Bank run material is mud or dirt encrusted so it requires longer retention time to allow the spray bars to wash them. If you choose a low fixed angle the only negative result is a slightly slower throughput level. Choose an angle that will clear rocks after they are thoroughly washed.
Good luck.

Last edited:

QNCrazy

Sep 30, 2013
Motherlode, CA
Detector(s) used
Gold Bug Pro
Fowled, I posted early this morning but it's not showing. Hmmmm! My earlier post indicated it was approximately 21-25 degree pitch. Hope this post doesn't disappear.

Vance in AK

Feb 15, 2010
Kenai, Alaska
Detector(s) used
Fisher GB II. Whites GM II.
goldog is right on there being a LOT of variables. Lots of clay? What type of spray system? What type of classifier? Is there a "boiler box" before the grizzly? On my old Keene I put flat expanded metal over the standard grizzly and that held the material on longer (which I wanted). I also flattened the grizzly from standard angle. All that said, I'm probably close to QNCrazy's #s.
If I build a new highbanker it will probably have a "boiler box" or "scrubber box" area before the grizzly & the grizzlies will probably be a bit steeper since washing won't be taking place over the grizzly, only oversize separation.

Last edited:

QNCrazy

Sep 30, 2013
Motherlode, CA
Detector(s) used
Gold Bug Pro
Fowled, I don't kow if you saw my update on Minny, but I made a basket out of 1/2" flat expanded metal as opposed to the BBQ grate covered in hardware cloth. I think this will serve the purpose better as I can leave the material there to wash and dump it when I'm satisfied that it is clean. Additionally, as it washes, I can shake the basket as well. When I use my Keene Highbanker, I often see dirt covered rocks in the tailings because they slide off the grizzly before getting completely washed no matter the angle of the grizzly. Then I have to run them back through again. Just an idea.

Vance in AK

Feb 15, 2010
Kenai, Alaska
Detector(s) used
Fisher GB II. Whites GM II.
When I use my Keene Highbanker, I often see dirt covered rocks in the tailings because they slide off the grizzly before getting completely washed no matter the angle of the grizzly. Then I have to run them back through again. Just an idea.

That was the reason I reduced the angle & put the 1/2" flat expanded on my Keene grizzly... The two resulted in enough difference that I have to push cleaned rocks out on occasion but it usually slowly self cleans.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread