ground balancing or not for newbie

recshooter

Jun 26, 2007
I haven't detected since the 80's (I was about 12). I want to get back into it again and here is my dilemma. I am planning to get either a Tesoro Cibola or Vaquero. The only major difference that I know of is the ground balancing of theVaquero . For a beginner like me would the Cibola be better because of the simpler operation? If I got back into it all hardcore again would I want to upgrade later or should I just go ahead and get the Vaquero? As far as what I would be hunting I would say a general purpose detector for now. Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks

U.K. Brian

Bronze Member
Oct 11, 2005
Detector(s) used
XLT, Whites D.F., Treasure Baron, Deepstar, Goldquest, Beachscan, T.D.I., Sovereign, 2x Nautilus, various Arado's, Ixcus Diver, Altek Quadtone, T2, Beach Hunter I.D, GS 5 pulse, Searchman 2 ,V3i
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The ground balance is not as hard as the Tejon and not as hard as with some of the old pre motion machines so don't worry.
My garden test bed is one acre. One end is low mineralisation, the other high. The difference between the two machines on the same coin is a fraction over one inch. Its not only the high mineralised areas you need to bother about. If there's no ground minerals you lose out again as the manufacturer has to pick an average setting that will work fairly well anywhere.

If you decide to buy other coils then setting the ground balance will in effect tune the new coil to the machine so the Vaquero will get the very best out of them.
Also if you decide to super tune the Vaquero to approach the performance of the Tejon again you get better results by matching machine to ground.

Or you could ask Tesoro if they would sell you a Laser Trident II. Same as the Vaquero but gives you a switch to select either pre set or adjustable ground balance.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread