GTAX 500 questions

Klick

Jan 18, 2006
Irving Texas
About 6 years ago I bought a Garret GTAX 500 and messed around with it for awhile found a few coins then it sat in the closet until now, due to a change in my life.? Oddly enough when I turned it on the bat's showed full power but I changed em anyway. I'm again getting the hunting bug.

It appears that the 500 was replaced with the 550

I have targeted a beach on a Texas lake that I want to try out lake level is 6 feet low

My questions to the experts

What limitations can i expect from this unit when it comes to a fresh water beach? - How about salt water?
Is the coil water proff?

Is there a serachcoil to upgrade to?
Should I upgrade the coil to the 2nd generation (crossfire II) anyway for non beach areas?

Thanks in advance for any response - I truly appreciate all the advice and just love all the info on these forums

Klick

Willy

Freshwater beaches it should be okay, depending on mineralization and possible alkali content. Probably won't do well at all around salt water. Maybe turning down the sensitivity and adding a bit of disc. would help. You can buy different sized coils for it and the stock one is probably just fine, though this doesn't take into account trash, mineralization, etc. I know it's not much, but there are a lot of environmental variables that affect detector performance. Best thing to do is have some test targets and bury them where you want to hunt (or an equivalent area) to see how the detector reacts, both shallow & deep. ..Willy.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions