Guatemala Real found in Pensacola

GulfCoastRelix

Mar 2, 2010
Pensacola
Detector(s) used
Garrett 250 / Garrett Ace Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Out at an old elementary school site that was built in 1923 but was tore down int the 60's and is now a small park. This place is full of dings. After a few clad, a '46 jefferson and a 56 wheatie, I got a very strong signal and was was hoping for a merc but instead found this. At about 3" took me a few scans with my pointer to find this as it was so small. Very excited as it reads 1894 and very sharp. I can see every detail. Upon research it turns out to be a 1/4 real from Guatemala. How strange to find this in this location. Unfortunately, I loaned my camera out to a friend but took this picture with my camera phone as best I could. I Included what another similar coin looks like close up for comparison. Its SO small. Going back tomorrow can't wait.

Mike

Attachments

• realback.jpg
    realback.jpg
    56.6 KB · Views: 490
  • guatemala1_4realx2_03_01_10.jpg
    guatemala1_4realx2_03_01_10.jpg
    128.6 KB · Views: 546
  • real close.jpg
    real close.jpg
    40.7 KB · Views: 477

bottlebum

Jul 18, 2007
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Minelab EQ 900
Nokta/Makro Anfibio Multi
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice find Mike and it sounds like you might have found yourself a sweet spot there.

HH, Bottlebum

pcolaboy

Sep 5, 2006
Pensacola, Fl
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer XS
I think I know the place you're referring to. Keep in mind that during that period, the port was bustling with ships from all over the world during the lumber boom. A friend of mine found some Norweigian coins from the turn of the century from another site below Garden St.

Of course, it's not completely out of the ordinary to find cut Spanish reales from the colonial period anywhere below Garden St. either :wink:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread