What's new

Gun I.D. from parts Please!!

kuger

Gold Member
Joined
Nov 6, 2007
Messages
9,732
Reaction score
2,803
Golden Thread
0
Detector(s) used
,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello,I dug several parts of a percussion firearm today in an 1850 site.The lock plate and hammer seems awfully small,must have been a pistol?
The trigger mechanism doesnt seem to fit or I dont know how it did,but was found within several feet of the other parts.The trigger guard has a 1700's look to it but it must go to the other parts?Try as I did I could not find the barrels today but I will be back.Thanks,and let me know what ya think
 

Attachments

  • gunparts.webp
    gunparts.webp
    9.8 KB · Views: 570
  • all.webp
    all.webp
    13.4 KB · Views: 587
  • close.webp
    close.webp
    6.9 KB · Views: 576
Here's a pic. I don't know how long the plate on this one is but I've seen small ones one sporting rifles too.
 

Attachments

  • shotgun.webp
    shotgun.webp
    15.2 KB · Views: 254
Upvote 0
Ah,Hah,thanks,I see what you are saying.To hold this in your hand though.......its really petite,I dont know?Thanks again :thumbsup:
 
Upvote 0
There were a lot of makers during this time frame, so it really could be just about anything. unless you find the barrel, you may never know if it was a pistol, rifle, or shotgun, although i tend to lean more towards pistol, just from the size. Henry Deringer made the small pistols that now bear the name "Derringer" but also made rifles, so even a name isn't a guarantee. The Deringer also used the same design backlock.

As others stated, British is probably your best bet, with Belgian, or French the next two runners up using that design.
 
Upvote 0
I agree with dcinffxva and several others that it will probably be hard to tell and it could be about anything. It could be a pistol but I have seen very small lockplates like that on sporting rifles and shotguns. I dug about the size of yours myself, years ago, at a post civil war house site. I have no idea what it went to. It's still cool to find. kind of annoying not knowing what they went to though.
 
Upvote 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom