What's new

Gun I.D. from parts Please!!

kuger

Gold Member
Joined
Nov 6, 2007
Messages
9,732
Reaction score
2,803
Golden Thread
0
Detector(s) used
,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello,I dug several parts of a percussion firearm today in an 1850 site.The lock plate and hammer seems awfully small,must have been a pistol?
The trigger mechanism doesnt seem to fit or I dont know how it did,but was found within several feet of the other parts.The trigger guard has a 1700's look to it but it must go to the other parts?Try as I did I could not find the barrels today but I will be back.Thanks,and let me know what ya think
 

Attachments

  • gunparts.webp
    gunparts.webp
    9.8 KB · Views: 570
  • all.webp
    all.webp
    13.4 KB · Views: 587
  • close.webp
    close.webp
    6.9 KB · Views: 576
Well, so far, all I can say is that the trigger guard seems to be short enough to be from a pistol, rather than a long gun.

You got a measurement on that?

B
 
Upvote 0
Thanks "B",the guard is 4" long,and the lock plate is 3"
 
Upvote 0
some of the sporting guns had small lockplates. Your's may be to a shotgun. I know they had the hammer in the front like that. I think the trigger guard is older than the lockplate but I may be wrong. Like you said the trigger guard looks 1700's. The lockplate looks mid 1800's or later though. Hopefully someone who knows more about them will be able to tell you.
 
Upvote 0
Thanks "V",I am up in the air on this one?There was nothing else there that dated after 1855.It sure would help if I could have found the barrel,or at least a barrel band!!
 
Upvote 0
Maybe - I'm checking some information we have - the design on the bottom is one I've seen before, but cannot place on what! (don't you hate it when you get "old-timers"?

B
 
Upvote 0
I have my fingers crossed!There are quite a few percussion pistols that look awful close.Thanks for looking.....and yes I hate forgetting where I put my memory!!! ;D
 
Upvote 0
I've dug trigger guard pieces like that at sites the were strictly colonial. As far as the lockplate I don't know of any pistols that had the hammer in the front, but then again I'm not expert on guns. It's possible that both pieces are to a gun that was actually a flintlock that had been converted to a percussion.
 
Upvote 0
It's real close but if you look closely at the trigger guard it's different and looks to be steel while the other is brass. Maybe I don't know what I'm talking about :dontknow: so I'm going to bow out and keep quiet for a while. OK? :thumbsup:
 
Upvote 0
I actually wonder if this might be from a "Kentucky" rifle... 3" seems small for the lock plate, but the example I dug from such a gun is only 4" long. They were small guns... The trigger guard seems more consistent with that style of gun. Or maybe the two pieces are from different weapons.


-Buck
 
Upvote 0
I like that trigger guard. Too bad its broken at the screw hole.
 

Attachments

  • trigger_guard.webp
    trigger_guard.webp
    18 KB · Views: 490
Upvote 0
Unless you get a name off the lock it won't be identified. There were just too many gunmakers out there, many making there own parts, or using pre made parts and building from them. It is a back action lock, probably from the late 1830's through the 1870's.
 
Upvote 0
Thanks to all for the help.
That picture,I also seen,it seems to be very similiar,as were a few others on that site.
Buckles,you may be very correct,I have not found enough to know.I have found side plates and they are just bigger and heavier,of course that doesnt mean anything.My first thought was the guard didnt go with the lock but as said they were all found very close to each other.......which doesnt mean anything either?
You are probably right the chances of pinning it down are slim with what I have and corosion to ever know,I guess if I can find the barrel that might help?Thanks again!
 
Upvote 0
The best advice I can offer at this point is to do electrolysis on the lock plate and see if it is marked.

Great finds. I have only one decorated trigger guard in my collection.


-Buckles
 
Upvote 0
Intresting I just got this 2 weekends ago. Wouldent of thought pistol though
 

Attachments

  • 103_1438.webp
    103_1438.webp
    39.3 KB · Views: 305
  • 103_1440.webp
    103_1440.webp
    28.3 KB · Views: 308
Upvote 0
I am leaning toward yours not being a pistol,great find!The more I look into what mine could have been I am strongly thinking pistol,there are some that are very similar right down to the guard,the hammer being so far forward is odd,and I have only seen that on handguns."V",do you have a pic of a shotgun like that?? :icon_scratch:
 
Upvote 0
That is a back action lock, they were quite common on rifles of the era as well as shotguns and to a lesser extent, pistols. Three inches is pretty short for a lock though so could very well be pistol.
 
Upvote 0
Thanks Cutler,I am learning! :wink:
 
Upvote 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom