hafted scapers

F

Felinepeachy

Well those are cool! Okay now this is probably a dumb question I'm sure but what determines if something is a half scraper and not a broken point? :dontknow:

PrimitiveOne

Mar 30, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
Detector(s) used
Eyeballs 2
Primary Interest:
Other
Peach, I make arrowheads and from what I can tell most hafted scrapers where probably at one time knife blades or arrowheads that broke while the notches were being cut in to the side of the piece and were converted into scrapers. When notching a head it is usually at the end of the flaking process and we tend to rush and apply to much pressure and the head snaps in half.. The sure way to tell a scraper is if the front edge has been flaked to a sharp edge. It is usually is in a semicircle but some are flat. If the front edge is flat it probably snapped and was tossed away. Or broke in the field. "The line between hafted scraper and broken head is very fine." I have started out making a 4 inch blade and ended up with a 1.5 inch scraper more times then I would like to say. I hope this helps.

F

Felinepeachy

Yes, it was very helpful. Thanks for the info. Are any of yours posted so I can check out your work? Would love to see them.

tmodel

Feb 5, 2011
mid tn.
i allways thought that they broke themin field and when they came back to camp they would change new point on shaft, or if shaft broken cut shaft off just long enought to make scrapper handle,, then eather way point was reflacked from one face to the other forming a cutting or scrapper edge on the 2nd face. this is what i allways called a hafted scrapper.. but what would you call a point that looked just like a hafted scrapper but was reflacked from both faces to a sharp edge in line with old cutting edge of broken point or knife? a blunt or what... T.

Treefrog

Apr 26, 2009
cookeville
very cool finds, I like those a lot..
this is the best looking hafted scrapper Ive found so far.

Tree

Attachments

• SNB12943sm.JPG
    SNB12943sm.JPG
    66.8 KB · Views: 251
  • SNB12944sm.JPG
    SNB12944sm.JPG
    51.9 KB · Views: 252
P

pickaway

Nice hafted scrapers guys, here's some examples from Ohio I've found.
hshs.jpg

creek astronaut

Bronze Member
Feb 16, 2009
fairfield county,ohio
tmodel said:
i allways thought that they broke themin field and when they came back to camp they would change new point on shaft, or if shaft broken cut shaft off just long enought to make scrapper handle,, then eather way point was reflacked from one face to the other forming a cutting or scrapper edge on the 2nd face. this is what i allways called a hafted scrapper.. but what would you call a point that looked just like a hafted scrapper but was reflacked from both faces to a sharp edge in line with old cutting edge of broken point or knife? a blunt or what... T.
Hafted scrapers most likely were broken points or knives,then reused as scrapers.what you are refering to is a excurvate edge knife.I just posted one in a post today.its in the first pic its black and shaped like a mushroom.

Th3rty7

Silver Member
Jan 24, 2009
»»--------->
Nice scrapers in here. Here's a group of them from Ohio I got at Ripley. Mostly Fridge.

Attachments

• php7tiNxzPM.jpg
    php7tiNxzPM.jpg
    82.4 KB · Views: 245
  • phpuTMJzdPM.jpg
    phpuTMJzdPM.jpg
    97.3 KB · Views: 236
  • phpYA0GB6PM.jpg
    phpYA0GB6PM.jpg
    98 KB · Views: 225
OP
OP
outlawatheart

outlawatheart

Jan 19, 2011
Hamilton County IL.
Detector(s) used
White's DFX Spectrum
Th3rty7 said:
Nice scrapers in here. Here's a group of them from Ohio I got at Ripley. Mostly Fridge.
NICE group! Pretty material. Thnx for posting. I have quite a few. I will dig them out and post.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread