What's new

Halves that have MORE than a few miles

DrDetector

Bronze Member
Joined
Jan 20, 2007
Messages
1,363
Reaction score
2
Golden Thread
0
Location
Pittsburgh, PA
Detector(s) used
White's Spectrum XLT
I know this isn't something to brag about, but I had to share these photos with everyone here. I did two boxes of halves yesterday and found two halves that are so amazingly worn out I had to post the pics. The half on the left is a 1967 and the one on the right the date is worn off. It doesn't seem to be artificial wear either, but maybe just someone's lucky charms that were always being touched or held.

Picture248.jpg

Picture250.jpg
 
Upvote 0
Interesting. Can you tell if the half on the right is a 40%er or not ?

Thanks for posting.
 
I found one a month or so ago and meant to take a pic and may have forgot and already cashed it in. I may have also set it aside, but the reverse looked about like your worst one and the obverse was completely gone other than some of kennedy's outline.
 
No the second one is not a 40%. I did the ol' 'flip the coin with your finger' trick to determine that.
 
I am a bit of a silver bug, so I keep a small accurate scale with me to be able to tell Troy Oz when I hit a garage sale of thrift store/pawn shop for jewelry and flat ware. An easy way to tell if you have a 90% or 40% half (if the date is illegible) is to weigh it. 40% halves weigh around around 11.5 grams, 90%ers are around 12.5 grams. hope this helps:)

Zym
 
Those are really worn halfs. This could have been caused by someone carrying it in their billfold for years.
 
I have one on my key ring that I found last summer. It was worn when I got it, but it is getting further worn as time goes on.

And I have had a couple that looked like they spent a few days getting run over by cars on rough pavement.
 
i found a 1990D nickel like that in a roll before. it looks like a really old coin from the back! ;D
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom