Hand made Forged square Nails, YEA you read it right NAILS....

woody50

Bronze Member
Jun 21, 2007
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi, just don't know where to put this. These are not really some of My Best Finds, although I do like them. Also can't put it in Today's Finds!, because they were found a few years ago. Also not in "What is it?", YOU and I know what they are.. So...hmmm...I guess here...

These are some of my Hand Made Roman forged nails, I know they are Roman because I found them myself in a few destroyed Roman forts in Serbia, on top of medium sized mountains where no one has lived since the Romans departed that area and returned to Rome. Forged nails were produced even before the Romans and of course after, until I guess the Industrial Revolution. So its just my word that they are Roman, but they are, even although they mostly look the same. We find also some in Holland and also England.

These are not all, some are still in the big pickle jar, pickling, some are waiting conservation (such as some of these) and quite a few are just waiting for me in the boxes in the garage waiting to be baked. I just told the nails in the garage that they would have to wait to be helped, just like me when I go to the post office!...

The fat short nail shown upper right which I forgot to lay sideways is one of many that I have found. This is not the largest, those thing is much larger! What exactly they did with fat short nails I don't really know... The head is 1 1/2" square, but the shank is only 1 1/4" Long!

Forgednails1sm.jpg

Forgednails2sm.jpg

Upvote 0

EDDE

Gold Member
Dec 7, 2004
Detector(s) used
Troy X5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
UGH ,I hate them. BUT yours are way more cool ;D

OP
OP
woody50

woody50

Bronze Member
Jun 21, 2007
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
EDDE said:
UGH ,I hate them. BUT yours are way more cool ;D
Well you know Edde when I detected I hated them too, until I went there and climbed up the mountains, then a nail was about 2000 years old. And you find one and you just don't believe it, its clean, not rusty, sharp point on it too. They don't have any acid rain there I guess or much industry. So everything you find is crazy, in Holland and England things are just rusty and dusty, and there just good. Never will understand why, could be the the leaves falling on the ground changes the chemical structure, there are many trees there.... AND roots! Thanks for the comment :thumbsup:

S

seger98

That's pretty cool, I guess I never gave it much thought to save most of my nails... You have some pretty goofy shaped one there, I wonder how they got that way, Neat post!

Chris

OP
OP
woody50

woody50

Bronze Member
Jun 21, 2007
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
seger98 said:
That's pretty cool, I guess I never gave it much thought to save most of my nails... You have some pretty goofy shaped one there, I wonder how they got that way, Neat post!
Chris
I would guess if you pound a nail into wood and on the other side of the wood there could have been something hard, or maybe a sort of knothole where the nail is pushed to one side and makes a sort of spiral, and contuning to pound the nail would curve it. But then again it could have been Uri Geller in a previous life using his mind to bend them (all tricks).. :-\

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions