What's new

Hand-Wrought Copper Pot - Possibly 18th Century!

UnderMiner

Silver Member
Joined
Jul 27, 2014
Messages
4,479
Reaction score
12,344
Golden Thread
2
Location
New York City
🥇 Banner finds
2
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II, Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Found this today at one of my exclusive dump hunting grounds. It appears to be copper with a heavy patina. Its two handles are clearly hand-forged and the rivets appear to be just hammered splotches of metal. It is 13.5" wide and 6" deep. From my research I've narrowed it down to being either a "jelly kettle" or a "melting pot". Sources say this particular design dates to the 18th century with more refined variants appearing later in the 19th century. From its primitive design I think this may very well be 18th century. It's pretty neat whatever time period it's from.

Pot 2.webppot 3.webp

The primitive hand-wrought copper handles and rivets:
pot 5.webppot 4.webp

The pot's base is concave. Research says it was not designed to sit on a stove but was meant to hang over a fireplace:

pot 1.webp

This is the closest looking example online that I could find: Large Old Antique Copper Candy Apple Butter Kettle Cauldron Pot Tub Handmade | eBay
Here is another example I found of a similar style pot: Primitive Hand Forged Copper Melting Pot from hiddeninthehills on Ruby Lane
 
As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Upvote 28
Hope it proves to be rare!
 
That's awesome! If I found that, straight into my booth at the store. Great piece:occasion14:
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom