HANDS AND PANS everywhere in California???

49erjohn

Mar 21, 2007
Is it true that it is HANDS AND PANS ONLY everywhere in California? I have a claim on the Yuba river and I am watching guys posting sluicing and heavy tool use on the Americans and Yubas on Youtube. Most of these postings are less than a year old. The ranger told me I could only do HANDS AND PANS ONLY on my Yuba claim. How do you handle this new law on your claim? Thanks JOHN

Upvote 0

Clay Diggins

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2010
The Great Southwest
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Is it true that it is HANDS AND PANS ONLY everywhere in California? I have a claim on the Yuba river and I am watching guys posting sluicing and heavy tool use on the Americans and Yubas on Youtube. Most of these postings are less than a year old. The ranger told me I could only do HANDS AND PANS ONLY on my Yuba claim. How do you handle this new law on your claim? Thanks JOHN

There is no such law or regulation on any mining claim in the U.S.

Our public servants are poorly educated about the nature and extent of their authority. Sounds like the dude has a big head and a tiny brain. Did you hear a rattling sound from the area of his skull when he moved? :laughing7:

Go mine your claim, that's what they are for. :thumbsup:

Heavy Pans

Aufisher

Bronze Member
May 12, 2013
The Golden State
Detector(s) used
Whites Goldmaster V/SAT. VibraProbe. Bazooka 48" Prospector Sluice. Shorts. Chickens + Goats + Goldhounds. 35' Chris Craft Caribbean motorsailer. FISH OIL + BURLAP
Primary Interest:
Prospecting

winners58

Bronze Member
Apr 4, 2013
Oregon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
might check your claim boundary's lots of claims on the Yuba, there is the south Yuba state park('s)
some claims look to be fairly close, where that may be what the Ranger may have been talking about, but was confused.
on a mining claim that would be over-reach of authority, did you buy your claim from a ebay claim flipper?
does it butt up against some park, historical, or special set aside area? there is a hands and pan's area but cant be claimed.
https://www.icmj.com/magazine/print-article/hands-pans-on-the-south-yuba-river-2430/
map; https://www.blm.gov/visit/south-yuba-river

if you go to Land Matters turn on Land manager to see the ownership patch work and boundaries.
http://www.mylandmatters.org/Maps/ClaimsCa/GetMap

Last edited:

Goldwasher

Gold Member
May 26, 2009
Sailor Flat, Ca.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, Gold Bug 2 Burlap, fish oil, .35 gallons of water per minute.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wouldn't be able to locate in a rec area

There is no "hands and pans" rule for any state. Just certain rec areas and parks.

For you to have a claim in a rec area it would have had to be there before the rec area was made.

mikep691

Aug 6, 2015
Northeastern Sierra's
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Most of the South Yuba is designated "Wild and Scenic". There are "no motorized equipment" rules on those areas. If you bought your claim after the designation was placed, then you are bound by those rules. If you owned the claim prior to the designation, I believe you're exempt, grandfathered. Fish cops and State Rangers think they rule everything so you'll likely get an argument no matter your situation.

Asmbandits

Bronze Member
Mar 4, 2014
NorCal
Detector(s) used
Fisher GB2, Bazooka Prospector 36", EZ sluice, Blue Bowl..
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There is a patch work of blm and state land on the south yuba, hands and pans should only be on the state lands, the rest of the blm land has many claims, not falling under hand and pans regulation.

RobertF

Jan 19, 2011
Bakersfield, CA
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
If you did buy it from an eBay claim flipper you may want to double check the validity of its location. It wouldn't be the first time I've seen someone file a federal claim on state land and BLM just cashed the check.

winners58

Bronze Member
Apr 4, 2013
Oregon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
there does seem to be a pattern in California on Federal lands that the State has declared some right to protect natural resources.
not sure about a State declared WSR a state can not withdraw federal lands and can not use eminent domain if federal ownership is over 50%

this Hands & Pans thing is happening all over California and needs attention from the mining community. GPAA News story of American River
Prospecting is getting more popular, the mining organizations have to renew efforts of teaching the public responsible practices
at the same time there has to be new involvement with state agencies that know nothing about mining, look but don't touch, NO!

Last edited:

Assembler

Silver Member
May 10, 2017
Detector(s) used
Whites, Fisher, Garrett, and Falcon.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
One should look into recognized "Surveys" as well to get a more rounded background/foundation and education.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions