What's new

Hanging Rock Civil War Skirmish Salem Va. Need Help!

DavyJonesLocker

Jr. Member
Joined
Apr 26, 2010
Messages
42
Reaction score
1
Golden Thread
0
Location
Roanoke VA
Detector(s) used
Gold Bug Pro
Has anyone ever do any detecting there or know where to look for civil war relics there ? I live just down road from there,but have no idea how to even begin to look for such items.
 
Upvote 0
I just went through this in West Tennessee and I have found that finding the route that either of the forces involved took to the battle may put you on the trail of where they camped. In rural West Tennessee some of these campsites are in the middle of nowhere now, sometimes covered in soybeans. After harvesting is a great time to ask a landowner to hunt his field. Usually asking homes in the vicinity will get you close to finding out who the owner is. Just my opinion on the matter. I hope you find some good spots.
 
I WENT SEVERAL YEARS AGO, I CAN TELL YOU THE EXACT DAY. IT WAS THE DAY THAT ROANOKE COUNTY HAD THE HUGE TIRE FIRE YEARS AGO. I WENT WITH A RADIO SHACK METAL DETECTOR AND I ACTUALLY FOUND A CONFEDERATE ARTILLERY SHELL. IT WAS LITERALLY FEET FROM THE TRAIL ENTRANCE BY A TREE NEXT TO THE CREEK. THAT WAS ABOUT THE ONLY THING I FOUND IN THE FEW HOURS I WENT OUT. I FOUND A FEW OLD NAILS AND A COUPLE HORSE SHOES. I PLAN ON MAYBE TRYING TO GO BACK WHEN THE WEATHER WARMS UP.
SHELL.webp
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom