What's new

Happy Festivus!

The feats of strength will begin at 6PM.
 
I dread the "airing of greivances" on this site!

Happy Holidays!
Kantuck
 
JJ, it's not a "real" holiday. Unless you believe everything you see on Seinfeld. Just remember the reason for the season.
Merry Christmas everyone!
enamel7
 
JJtheRollHunter said:
enamel7 said:
JJ, it's not a "real" holiday. Unless you believe everything you see on Seinfeld. Just remember the reason for the season.
Merry Christmas everyone!
enamel7

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Festivus

All holidays are made up by someone, some are just older and for different reasons. I read that Christmas (as we know it today) originated from pagan celebrations from years before Christ. In ancient Babylon they celebrated what was called the feast of the Son of Isis (Goddess of Nature) on Dec 25 that included drinking, celebrating and gift giving. In Rome they celebrated the winter solstice, and groups called "mummers" who were costumed singers went from house to house singing and entertaining-much like modern day carolers.

In 350 the Pope declared Dec 25 the day to celebrate Christ's birthday. From what I read the reason was they were trying to convert people to Christianity and didn't want to take away their celebrations. Pagan Romans were the majority at that time in that area.

Same with easter, which was celebrated by pagans as a spring holiday. The easter egg concept had to do with fertility or something like that.

Lots of info about all this online (which is where I saw this). Kind of interesting I think.

Jim
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom