Has anyone changed from the factory S shaft to a Straight shaft?

WVCOINHUNTER

Jan 19, 2012
Vienna, WV
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Garrett AT Pro, XP MI6, Garrett Pro Pointer, Makro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have a Garrett AT Pro, and love it! Recently I was noticing some people going to a straight shaft such as the Anderson Shafts, and wondered do they really help with arm and shoulder fatigue? I've had hand, wrist and shoulder surgury, and sometimes the bigger coils will cause some fatigue and pain in the shoulder on long hunts, and have heard that these straight shafts help to eliminate that! Would appreciate any advice or experiences!!
:hello:

Upvote 0

ducketz

Jul 28, 2012
I use a fisher aquanaut for my water hunting , put the Anderson shaft on and it makes such a difference . The counterbalance is so much easier on the swing then the stock shaft . Also I detect w others the use the Anderson shafts everyone is happy. Hope this helps.... Happy hunting

OP
OP
WVCOINHUNTER

WVCOINHUNTER

Jan 19, 2012
Vienna, WV
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Yes it does, any relief on my shoulder is worth the investment! That mean more time detecting! Thanks!

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I use one with my Excalibur and it's a substantial improvement. You might also look into a sling to relieve arm strain.

OP
OP
WVCOINHUNTER

WVCOINHUNTER

Jan 19, 2012
Vienna, WV
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks, that's not a bad idea for those long days. The AT Pro only weighs 3.5 lbs. but the bigger coils aren't balanced well, hoping that's what the straight shaft will do! I can't imagine swinging something like the new Garrett ATX Extreme PI, its 5.5 lbs. with the 10"x12", who know's how much with the 20" Coil?

gerryk

Jan 20, 2013
Orland Park
Detector(s) used
Minelab X Terra 705, Bounty Hunter Pro 505, Garrett Pro pointer, Pro swing 45, TDK WR 700 wireless headphones, leschee digger, green canvas mil surplus messenger bag as finds bag and brown bomb#2 to
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I had problems swinging when i got me new 705 and started it again. I tried several devices, then saw the pro swing 45.
It works did I say it works? IT WORKS! Yes, it is made by Minelab but will work with any detector. I'd the name on it bothers you cover it with a patch from something else.

I have back and shoulder problems and the pro swing allows me to detect without pain or having to stop because of my back or shoulder.

christo000

Silver Member
Mar 17, 2013
mass North Attleboro
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus,m-6 pinpointer, technetics t2ltd (had, whites v3i,minelab xterra 705,atpro,prism 4,sunray probe minlabe profind,garret propointer, f75ltd and many more)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Same here well sling idea,the $25,original detecting buddy works perfect ive used it with many of my machines now mainly just the Atpro & v3i when on Long hunts makes them honestly weightless with ease to swing & does not get in the way when digging a plug, definetly dont need it with the deus xp i think its like 1.9lbs something silly like that ive had baseball mits weigh more then the whole machine

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes, I use a straight shaft on my excal and my BeachHunter. I only wish there was a straight shaft for the E-Trac!

sprinter

Feb 2, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
used both straight and s shaped ergo dynamic shaft on both my Excalubur and Sovereign GT ,so whats the best if you use the s shaped standard shaft , when you make your sweep the action is regulated by the design and you cant help but have your coil closer to the ground at the end of each sweep , if you take the box off and hip mount either the Gt or the Excalibur you loose the weight , I can detect longer and more efficiently with the standard shaft, more comfort less fatigue , than if I use the straight shaft.

OP
OP
WVCOINHUNTER

WVCOINHUNTER

Jan 19, 2012
Vienna, WV
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Dont bother changing the shaft. I have had my shoulder repaired last year and long time swinging gets it really aggravated. I bought the Original detecting buddy and the only thing I regret is not buying one earlier. When you're wearing it, the machine weighs NOTHING, I use my thumb and the index finger to swing. No more shoulder pain and I can swing all day without a problem. I think its like 30 on amazon.com. Get one, you will not regret it.
thanks! I'll check it out!

christo000

Silver Member
Mar 17, 2013
mass North Attleboro
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus,m-6 pinpointer, technetics t2ltd (had, whites v3i,minelab xterra 705,atpro,prism 4,sunray probe minlabe profind,garret propointer, f75ltd and many more)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
$25 shipped on ebay

gleaner1

Silver Member
Feb 1, 2009
Gateway to the 1000 Islands
Detector(s) used
Sometime(s)
Primary Interest:
Other
I did this. Why? I dont rightly know I guess.
DSC01363.JPG DSC01364.JPG DSC01365.JPG DSC01368.JPG DSC01369.JPG DSC01370.JPG DSC01371.JPG DSC01372.JPG DSC01373.JPG DSC01386.JPG

gleaner1

Silver Member
Feb 1, 2009
Gateway to the 1000 Islands
Detector(s) used
Sometime(s)
Primary Interest:
Other
The arm cuff stick is a fiberglass cz20 coil stick. I drilled a hole to mount the cuff. The mid section is the original aluminum atp tube. The coil stick is the original coil stick on the pro. The grip/brain box mount I fabbed outa thin wall stainless tube. All this gives me a better "feel" in the wrist but not much else that big dd still feels like swinging a brick around.

RobRieman

Silver Member
Nov 12, 2012
Cincinnati Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's V3i / Minelab E-trac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You know it! Why swing it when you can glide it around on rollers. Mount them on the outside edge if the coil and you can keep it a 1/4 inch off the ground and have zero weight. I know you can do it!

flakefinder

Bronze Member
Jul 21, 2010
Michigan
Detector(s) used
2 Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The arm cuff stick is a fiberglass cz20 coil stick. I drilled a hole to mount the cuff. The mid section is the original aluminum atp tube. The coil stick is the original coil stick on the pro. The grip/brain box mount I fabbed outa thin wall stainless tube. All this gives me a better "feel" in the wrist but not much else that big dd still feels like swinging a brick around.
I really like your idea, did you weld the tube the box is mounted on to the tube in the shaft?

sprinter

Feb 2, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Having a straight shaft is a man thing ,look at my big long straight shaft , just because you have a bent shaft does not make you any less a man,,, and does not mean you are bent ,your self.
When other detectorists see my bent ergonomic shaped shaft they don't laugh at me ,I've had both ,, shafts I mean ,and the most comfortable is without doubt the bent ergonomic shaped shaft ,it's better for your back ,it retains it's closeness to the ground at the end of each swing,.
So there I've done it now I'm definitely bent ,I've come out , in favour of the ergo dynamic shape of bent shafts ,far superior to straights ,,,,

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread