Has anyone ever made their own metal detector?

Bloks

Dec 23, 2018
Detector(s) used
Gqarret ACE 250
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Maybe i build after some time. first tries show - its possible.

against the wind

Gold Member
Jul 27, 2015
Port Allegheny, Pennsylvania
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Excalibur, XP Deus, & CTX 3030.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'll give you some simple directions;
Duct tape
Stick
Magnet
A. Tape magnet to bottom of stick.
B. Go for walk
C. Have fun

creskol

Gold Member
Jan 14, 2007
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Other
I started detecting in 1968 with a detector kit built in electronics class.

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I have my college students build a simple metal detecting circuit on breadboards then wind a coil and pass metal objects across its face (remember they are learning circuit theory). They can watch the waveform change on the O-scope. I believe in demonstrating simple circuits that can show real world solutions to interesting problems.

IMO: Now for real metal detecting purchasing a machine from a quality company is what you should do if you want to get into the hobby.

Carl-NC

Bronze Member
Mar 19, 2003
Washington
Detector(s) used
Custom Designs and Prototypes
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have my college students build a simple metal detecting circuit on breadboards then wind a coil and pass metal objects across its face (remember they are learning circuit theory). They can watch the waveform change on the O-scope. I believe in demonstrating simple circuits that can show real world solutions to interesting problems.

IMO: Now for real metal detecting purchasing a machine from a quality company is what you should do if you want to get into the hobby.

What a grand thing to do. Metal detectors are great for teaching circuits as they can encompass magnetics, analog, digital, audio, and visual responses. I wish I had been involved in detector design back when I was an undergrad teaching the EE labs at FSU, would have been so much more interesting.

lairmo

Silver Member
Jan 1, 2009
SW MO
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro/ Fisher M-Scope 1280-X
Actually yes....There once was a kit you could buy from the Sears/JCPenny Christmas catalog....I cannot remember the name since I was around 7 or so...I also built a lie detector with it....And a lot of other things....It MAY have been what got me into all this junk...lol

63bkpkr

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XLT, GMT, 6000D Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Actually yes! Every now and then an electronics magazine would produce an issue with a how to build a metal detector article. I built two of these from different articles and they worked, no discrimination but they found all metals in the ground, depth was not that great and they were crude.

I then purchased a Heath Kit metal detector kit and assembled it. It also worked, found all metals in the ground, had no discrimination, looked a lot nicer than the ones I'd built from the E magazines but again no discrimination.

I would suggest you purchase a used machine, one that has a reputation of being a good machine but is outdated, likely it will have a bunch of adjustment knobs and switches on its box surface, a speaker, an analog indicating needle and meter face and it will work. With some experimenting and learning you will learn how to set the machine up for a basic mode (all metal, no filters), be waving the coil over the ground and by resetting the knobs and switches in sequence you will know what type of metal is under your coin with about 85% certainty. (this would be like a Whites 6000d coinmaster - likely somewhere around $100.00) Old school but it works and will be Way Better than any magazine built detector. IMHO............63bkpkr

Note: One issue with purchasing any used detector to look out for/ask about is battery damage! If the batteries ever rotted in the battery box, stay away from the machine! Worse case is the rot also got to the circuit board, rotary switches, toggle switches and that is like the kiss of death!

seagullplayer

Aug 13, 2008
Southern Indiana
Detector(s) used
Garrett ACE 250 & ACE 400, ACE Apex
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I built a hand held unit from a kit in the 70's. I think it came from radio shack.

Also built one from scratch for a project in vocational school in high school. 1983
I took digital electronics and it was one of the projects I could pick.

I don't recall a lot about it other than it worked, one of the other guys built one and they never did get it to function right.

I didn't have to finish it out I just needed to get it to work on the bench.

kblackfoto

Greenie
Dec 30, 2019
Hamilton
Detector(s) used
Garret Pinpointer Pro
Ace Garret 250
Dr Otek Pinpointer
Nokta Pulsedive Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

looked this up, haven't watched the whole thing yet but i like darren brown!

TreasureHawk

Apr 20, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I start with a simple Pulse Induction circuit.
pi-schematic.png

Rookster

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2013
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, F75Ltd., AT PRO, Garrett pointer
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Catch one on sale at Hobby Lobby. It’s cheaper. Yep

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes & No

I Got a Relco Kit for Christmas at a Very Young Age.

Took it to a Neighbor who Did the Soldering Necessary . I rapped the Coil and a Few other Tasks.
He did the Parts I Couldn't. I was able to Find my Parents Truck & Car with it :laughing7:

Sreekumar

May 6, 2020
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hai brothers l'am new member is the forum,only gold detector circuit please

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread